Question

Add Play5 or Play1-which better for this situation?

Badge
Music only. Current set-up 2 paired play1's + sub. Big room & thinking of adding another play1 or a play5 at opposite end of room. Maybe play5 better because of extra bass. Any thoughts please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I would put another play1 pair at the opposite end of the room. One in each corner. - Kris 🙂
Even just one play 1 unit may suffice; try that first. Of course there is always the temptation of getting the latest/greatest; if so, a 5 unit will also work well but you may have to play around with dialling down its bass output a little, given the presence of the Sub in the room. Or you may not depending on the room acoustics, in which case, you have the choice. One other advantage to a 5 unit is getting the line in feature that can be useful when it is missing!
Badge
Thanks Krislu and Kumar...both good info, and Krislu I hadn't thought of another pair of 1's but that may be best given Kumar's answer ref the bass...thanks again to both of you!
Badge
I'll probably go with 1 play1 and add another if required.
If I could call on your expertise again, can I just add it normally via the prompts or will I have to do something odd like add it 'in another room' and then 'group' it?
Add it via the prompts, name it, and then group it. Easily done!
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I have 4ea play1 and a sub in my living room and the way it shows on my phone (android) is " living room ", " living room1 ". The first one " living room " is two play1 and sub and the second one " living room1 " is the other two play1 and I just group them. it works great and is very easy and best of all it sounds awesome. - Kris 🙂
Badge
Thanks Kris for your extra info on the 4. I take it you have 2 each at either end of your room, and also do you have each 2 paired?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I put one in each corner of the room with the sub in between 2 of them on one end. Both are paired. The two on one end with the sub is paired and the two on the other end are paired and I have them all grouped together. What you get is great sound and full coverage in the room where you can't tell direction. Where ever you are in the room you are enveloped with great sound and you don't have to turn up the volume to achieve this. It won't be to loud if you sit close to a speaker.

Kris 🙂
Badge
Thanks heaps Kris...I'm drooling already!!
Absolutely last question on this - did you go straight to 4 or did you have 2 then try 3 before going to the 4 in the same room?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I did two play1 at a time. Kris 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Two at a time balances any room then it just comes down to how many to do a room correctly. 2,4,6 etc depends on the size of the room. You are looking for total coverage so you don't have to crank up the volume on one side to cover the other. - Kris:)
Badge
Thanks again Kris...after all your info I've decided to bypass 3 and go straight to 4 play 1's.
Thanks again, and really like your name!
Chris 🆒
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good answers everyone. Thanks for jumping in. Let us know if you have any follow up questions CJ.
Badge
Just added the 2 paired play 1's....simply stunning!!
Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me your thoughts and info on this topic...absolutely led me to the right decision for the outcome I wanted. 😃 😃
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Chris- Glad you are happy!!!!! - Kris 🙂
Badge
My last word on this for anyone else going with this set-up is to take the time to adjust your speaker volumes to get the 'sweet spot' for where you sit to listen to your music...doesn't take too long and you'll know it when you get it!