Feature Request - Use Long press on Play/Pause button to Group Sonos Speakers

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I love the Group feature of Sonos but having to use a PC/Tablet/Phone to set up a group or add/remove devices from a Group is a bit overkill.
Would it be possible to add the Group feature to the play/pause button using a "long press"?
At the moment a "single press" of the play/pause button will start/stop the music stream and a "double press" will skip to the next track.
Could a "long press" be used to put the speaker into "Group mode".or add it to an existing group.
So, if you "long press" the button on the first speaker it goes into "Group mode" and then if you "long press" the button on another speaker it joins the first one in a group.
Then you could "long press" the button on another speaker to add it to the group etc etc.
To remove a speaker from the group you simply "single press" the button, which would also stop the stream.
If you wanted to play a single speaker without adding it to a group you simply "single press" the button, as now.

I would find this incredibly useful at home where I have speakers in the Kitchen, Lounge, Dining Room and upstairs Landing.
Most of the time the Kitchen and upstairs Landing speakers are grouped, the Lounge and Dining Room are not, but some times we like to group them all together.
It would be great to just "long press" the button on the Lounge and/or Dining Room speakers to add them to the Kitchen/upstairs Landing group, and then when finished in that room, "single press" the button to remove them from the group/stop the stream.

You could also use this feature if you were moving around the house, spending time in each area as required and turning the Group on and off as you moved from room to room, without needing to go near a PC/Tablet/Phone.

What do other users, and Sonos think, I would be interested to know - Martin.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

That would be awesome — a single press of the play button to add it to a currently playing group instead of:
grab phone; press the home button; tap on the Sonos app; then the name of room currently playing; then the Group button; then the name of new room; and then the Done button.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And what if there are two groups at the moment? How do you select which group you want it to join?

Example... I have 5 zones... living room, kitchen, bedroom, office, garage. Living Room + Kitchen are grouped, Office + Bedroom are grouped, both are playing different music. I'm in the garage, I long-press the play button... which group does my garage speaker join to, or how do I tell it to join a particular group?
That would be awesome!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
@MikeV
Obviously in the case you describe you would have to use the Sonos App to control the groups you have running.
My suggestion would only work for the simple case of one active group.
If you only have one group (as I do) then long press the button, if you have more than one active group then you use the App.

Or, expand the feature so -
The first long press joins group one, then a second long press (within say five seconds) changes to group two, a third to group three etc etc.
Would work for your scenario, but be a bit cumbersome if you had several groups running at once.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
With Sonos software 8.0 this feature was added. You can now press and hold on the play/pause button to join the most active player (the one most recently told to play).

1. Stop playing music in a room.
2. Press and hold the play/pause on another player.
3. The queue or source will move to the unit you held the button for and start playing. (The players won't group together though).

If you start playing music in another room between steps 1 and 2 you'll wind up grouping with that room instead of moving the stopped music.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Sonos - thank you, thank you, thank you.
The changes you have made now make the Sonos system perfect for me.

As previously stated I have four Sonos players.
Normally the Kitchen and Landing are grouped together playing music but the lounge and dining room are not.
However sometimes we want music in the lounge or dining room or both, and with the other players as well.

With this change all we need to do is long press the lounge and/or dining room player button and that player starts playing in sync with the others at the volume level that it was previously set to (it joins the existing group).
We can also individually turn off any of the players that are currently playing by a long press on the button (it leaves the group) and it does not affect the other players.
But, because the players that are playing are all grouped together we can turn them all off by a short press of the button on any active player (as before).

So now we can move around the house, turning players on and off as required, with just a long press of the button, and they all group together and play, in sync, at the individual volume level that we had previously set for each one. When we have finished listening to music we simply have to short press on any active player to turn them all off.

SUPERB

Thank you again, this is great customer service, well done Sonos.

Brilliant; Ryan, this needs to be a front and centre sticky somewhere; so a slightly higher number than the usual zero% of visitors read about this feature, including the part about exiting groups.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Brilliant; Ryan, this needs to be a front and centre sticky somewhere; so a slightly higher number than usual zero% of visitors read about this feature, including the part about exiting groups.

The part about exiting the group was news to me.
Thanks. Great feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
It is indeed a great addition and I don't think it was bigged up enough upon release.
I don't think it was bigged up enough upon release.
I agree 100%. And doing so would also have reduced the noise about the new way of grouping in the app.
This is awesome I just found this feature by accident and went online to see if I was crazy 🙂 Definitely love to see more on speaker control.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I found this by accident as well yesterday while in the kitchen with no phone, truely excellent feature!.