Answered

How to control ceiling speakers connected to amp with samsung tv remote.

• 27 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Here is my scenario which i need to explain to hopefully have someone understand my issue and help with my a solution. 

So my home is setup with ceiling speakers in every room with their own dedicated amp. The amps are all set up in my basement far away from my tv. I just bought a new Samsung frame tv and wanted to connect the tv to the ceiling speakers in the living room that it’s in, but i don’t have the option to run an hdmi from the living room to the amp in my basement. So what i did was buy a Sonos Ray speaker, connected that to my Samsung frame tv via an optical digital audio cable, and then i was able to add the Ray speaker to my Sonos system via its WiFi and was then able to link the ceiling speakers in my living room with the Ray speaker. So now I’m able to play my tv volume through both the Ray speaker and the ceiling speakers in my living room. 

Here is where I’m having an issue. I want to be able to control both the Ray speaker and my ceiling speakers volume with my Samsung tv remote. I was able to connect the Ray speaker to my tv as an external device and am now able to control the Ray volume with my Samsung remote, but I have no idea how to also control my ceiling speakers with my Samsung tv remote, and this is what I’m seeking help for. I want to be able to simultaneously control my Ray speaker and ceiling speakers at the same time with only my Samsung tv remote. Is this even possible? I’ve tried researching but can’t seem to find an answer. The only thing i found was that maybe this can only work if my tv is connected to the Ray speaker via hdmi arc. The ray doesn’t have an hdmi arc input, only optical digital audio input, but i know Sonos makes an hdmi arc to optical digital audio converter so maybe thats an option? Also for more info, my remote for my Samsung frame tv is not an IR remote. It’s an RF remote. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? Would greatly appreciate any help. Hopefully i explained all of this in a manner that people can understand. Please let me know if you have an idea of a solution and need me to further explain anything. Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 27 April 2024, 08:28

View original

4 replies

If the ceiling speakers are set up as ‘surrounds’ with your Ray, then they’ll be controlled by the Samsung’s remote control. If, however, these speakers are set up as a separate Sonos room, and merely grouped, the Samsung Remote will never control them. 

If the ceiling speakers are set up as ‘surrounds’ with your Ray, then they’ll be controlled by the Samsung’s remote control. If, however, these speakers are set up as a separate Sonos room, and merely grouped, the Samsung Remote will never control them. 

The ceiling speakers were set up first as their own room labeled “living room”, and then when I added the Ray, I grouped the Ray with the the “living room” ceiling speakers and can control them both with a master volume control on the Sonos app. So you’re saying since they are only grouped there is no possible way to control the ceiling speakers with my TV remote? Is there a way to change the ceiling speaker set up to surround with the Ray even though they were originally set up as their own separate room? Or there is literally no option to accomplish what I’m trying to do. Is there even a separate remote I can buy or use to control the ceiling speakers on their own so I don’t have to drag the volume with my finger on the sonos app anytime I want to change my TV volume? 

Also, if I’m not able to control the ceiling speakers with my current setup that I explained in the original post, do you know of any other set up or configuration I can do to be able to control my ceiling speakers with my tv remote without having to plug my tv into the Sonos amp via hdmi? Is is an hdmi from the TV to the sonos amp the only possible way to accomplish that? Thanks for your response.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So you’re saying since they are only grouped there is no possible way to control the ceiling speakers with my TV remote? Yes.

Is there a way to change the ceiling speaker set up to surround with the Ray even though they were originally set up as their own separate room? Yes, ad them as surrounds to the Ray “room”. https://support.sonos.com/article/add-surround-speakers-to-a-sonos-home-theater

Is there even a separate remote I can buy or use to control the ceiling speakers on their own so I don’t have to drag the volume with my finger on the sonos app anytime I want to change my TV volume? Yes, the least expensive option for this would be the IKEA Dirigera, see https://www.ikea.com/nl/en/p/symfonisk-dirigera-sound-remote-with-hub-kit-gen-2-smart-white-s29508946/ I’m not sure you could change the volume on the group (ceiling switch Ray) with this though.

With TV sound the ceilings speakers grouped with a Sonos soundbar should be 75ms out of sync with the soundbar. Haven’t you noticed this?

So you’re saying since they are only grouped there is no possible way to control the ceiling speakers with my TV remote? Yes.

Is there a way to change the ceiling speaker set up to surround with the Ray even though they were originally set up as their own separate room? Yes, ad them as surrounds to the Ray “room”. https://support.sonos.com/article/add-surround-speakers-to-a-sonos-home-theater

Is there even a separate remote I can buy or use to control the ceiling speakers on their own so I don’t have to drag the volume with my finger on the sonos app anytime I want to change my TV volume? Yes, the least expensive option for this would be the IKEA Dirigera, see https://www.ikea.com/nl/en/p/symfonisk-dirigera-sound-remote-with-hub-kit-gen-2-smart-white-s29508946/ I’m not sure you could change the volume on the group (ceiling switch Ray) with this though.

With TV sound the ceilings speakers grouped with a Sonos soundbar should be 75ms out of sync with the soundbar. Haven’t you noticed this?

I did notice that the sound was a bit off when I first played my TV sound out of both the Ray and ceiling speakers at the same time. Is there a way to adjust this?

And then, with the link you shared to change the ceiling speakers to surround with the Ray, would that be a solution to allow me to be able to control both the Ray and ceiling speakers with my TV remote? Or would it still not be possible? Thank you for your help!