Which is more robust Sonosnet Vs. WiFi for Sonos 1.

• 26 March 2024
  • 6 replies

The subject line says it all. I have been using Sonos 1 and SonosNet because my CR-200 is a heck of lot more convenient than messing with my cell phone every time I need to interact with Sonos.  The problem now is that SonosNet has become more problematic with multiple dropouts.  I was about an hour on the phone with tech support (thank you, Sonos) but to no avail.  Rather than continue to troubleshoot this (and I’m sure there is ultimately a solution since it used to work flawlessly), I’ rather switch to WiFi if it’s more robust.

Thoughts?

6 replies

Depends on your router/network configuration.  Sonosnet is still better with some mesh networks.  Also, if you have multiple repeaters or extenders, they will often cause problems.  What is the brand/model of router you are using? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Also depends on the models and ages of your Sonos. The newer stuff is going to have access to the newer WiFi modes and be better.

I’m on SonosNet and staying there for the foreseeable future after getting help here on sorting out my WiFi related issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Oopsie, forgot the link.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

Userlevel 7

Hi

With my three (3) ASUS ZenWifi Pro ET 12’s setup as a mesh network using an Ethernet backhaul I’ve moved all my Sonos (32 units) to Wi-Fi. You can peek my profile to see my Sonos equipment. However, as has been said the condition of your network will determine if Wi-Fi is right for you; as well as the number of clients it can handle. 

In addition to providing brand information about you network equipment…when did you last purchase your router or is it provided by your ISP? Also, are you using a Bridge, Boost or a speaker wired to your router to produce the SonosNet? 

If using a Bridge…that is most likely causing the inconsistency with the SonosNet. As the Boost has been discontinued (which replaced the Bridge) wiring a speaker to your router is best to create the SonosNet.

Thanks for all the replies.  When I have a chance to explore in detail (I have a day job.) I’ll get back.  If it helps--and one person asked---my router is a Tplink AX11000.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sonos say they’ve dropped support for SonosNet on new devices because wifi is so much better now than back in the day. Of course, the older wifi hardware on older devices is still older technology. 

It’s not too difficult to configure one or the other setup (in a small system),  so you could try switching over…