Question

New App is terrible

Userlevel 2

Hi,

Is there a way to downgrade this poorly thought out new app to the previous version.

The new app is not user friendly and does not appear to have a “shuffle” option for my music. I have a NAS with over 12,000 songs and now it appears the sonos app will not provide the ability to shuffle the songs. Either I have to downgrade the app to the previous version or I will have to find another method to play my in house library on the sonos setup.

This supposed update is quite obviously inferior to the old one. Certainly won’t purchase anything else from sonos unless this gets rectified.

Butch

13 replies

Userlevel 1

I can’t believe they thought this was an “Upgrade”, It’s really bad.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Unless this fiasco becomes common knowledge then a few users claiming they'll never buy Sonos again will have little impact.  Sonos sold 5 million units worldwide in 2023 so they have plenty of leeway left. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Lost all alarm control with new app.  Seriously is Sonos App going to known as they MicroSoft’d it.  

Why rush out a half baked app?  What DEI idiot approved this release. First rule Know you client needs Sonos. 

The latest app upgrade is horrible! Enjoyed the “gold app” and please make this as another choice for your customers if they don’t want to use the new app (May 2024 version). The new app doesn’t allow you to add songs to the queue and can’t find where to create sonos playlist. The only choices are: save to Sonos favorites and replace queue. Will not buy another Sonos speaker if app takes away all the benefits that previously offered.

Userlevel 1

Can’t believe how bad the app upgrade is especially after the message they pushed out a couple of weeks ago saying what a great improvement it was going to be (when Sonos say that they have been listening to customers they must obviously have some other meaning in mind).

I promptly uninstalled the app and re-installed the old version from APK mirror ;-)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unless this fiasco becomes common knowledge then a few users claiming they'll never buy Sonos again will have little impact.  Sonos sold 5 million units worldwide in 2023 so they have plenty of leeway left. 

That's why it's essential to leave feedback about the app on the app stores and on retailer websites. They don't care about what you are writing here, but they will have to address it when it is visible to prospective customers. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

The new app is not user friendly and does not appear to have a “shuffle” option for my music. I have a NAS with over 12,000 songs and now it appears the sonos app will not provide the ability to shuffle the songs

The shuffle options appears to be there in the player. I say appears, as I have not tried it, as I don’t want shuffling.

Or do you mean that there used to be an option to shuffle the entire library, like telling Sonos selecting random songs from the library and surprise you all the day through?

Userlevel 1

As others have said, the new app is a serious downgrade by Sonos.  Of course Sonos could care less about users.  If you want to upgrade the new app, the old version 16.1 is still available.  Delete the new crappy version then install the old 16.1.  This will upgrade the new app to what we used to have.

Userlevel 1

At the bottom of sonos.com the CEO welcomes feedback:

Want to email our CEO, Patrick Spence, directly? Click here

You may want to express your anger about the new app? Do allow long reponse time as the CEO and the entire company is on another planet, lightyears away from any real, flesh and blood, Sonos-user.

I downloaded the app yesterday.  It is awful.  Slow, latent and terrible.  This is a stark shift from the user friendly Sonos way of operating.  I’m not sure how this got released but please let me revert to the older version.  This version is JUNK!!!!  I called support and the wait is 80+ minutes.  Obviously a lot of users are finding this new app troublesome.  Please fix this or better yet revert to the old version.  It was perfectly fine.

Userlevel 2

The user friendliness of this version is so bad, it’s almost impressive.  Luckily, I will be able to save some $ by not continuing to upgrade my hardware since their software is moving backwards :(  Oh well, a competitor will emerge soon.. just like Spotify did to iTunes after they got lazy too

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Go to apkmirror.com and get the 16.1 package. Works great ... again

Don't forget to disable automatic updates in the app store AND the app itself 

Hi,

Is there a way to downgrade this poorly thought out new app to the previous version.

The new app is not user friendly and does not appear to have a “shuffle” option for my music. I have a NAS with over 12,000 songs and now it appears the sonos app will not provide the ability to shuffle the songs. Either I have to downgrade the app to the previous version or I will have to find another method to play my in house library on the sonos setup.

This supposed update is quite obviously inferior to the old one. Certainly won’t purchase anything else from sonos unless this gets rectified.

Butch

I don't know, but unless you go through extra input of information 16 layers of rigmarole and total BS they won't even let you give thumbs up to more than two of these discussions which is a way for them to stop people from complaining....