Answered

Replacing my NAS drive with Cloud storage

My Sonos system is now 10 years old and i purchased a NAS drive to store my music collection on and to use with my Sonos system. I am now having problems accessing my NAS drive using my laptop running windows 11 which i have resolved by changing the SMB settings but it creates potential security issues. Also my NAS drive will not last forever and this is an example of it becoming unsupported and obsolete. So i either need to buy a new NAS drive or move all my music and files over to Cloud storage subscription such as my Google drive or MS365. I have considered using Spotify but it is too much each month for the amont i would use it plus i have already purchased a lifetime of music and have it stored on my NAS drive. 

My questions are;

1. Do Cloud storage subscriptions work well with Sonos or do you experience drop outs and failures?
  2. What new NAS drives would the community recommend?
  3. Does anybody use Plex media server as this was recommended by Sonos support?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 May 2024, 11:59

View original

5 replies

I use Plex, but you ideally need a NAS to run that server 24/7 over your LAN - the other option to look at is iBroadcast as that’s entirely a cloud-based service. It’s a free service for 128kb/s playback or there’s a small subscription fee for higher resolution audio. Here are a few links for your ongoing research…

I would say that any new NAS product that supports SMB v2 and 3 protocols will be fine for use with Sonos. I would perhaps find one on Amazon or other good sites that suits your budget/storage requirements, as they can become quite expensive if you want large SSD’s/HDD’s and fault tolerance and ‘teamed networking’ features etc. Some are mentioned on the Plex site too.

Also see this link, there are other similar sites/reviews, if you search online via Google…

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-nas-plex

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

My router has a usb port that I plugged my library HD into.  That then appears on the network.

Userlevel 1

Why would a music file in YOUR NAS server pose a security threat?

This is just more pushing to the cloud and nickel and diming you. 

Because you’re using a vector known to be hackable and provide complete access to all data on your NAS to access that single file? It’s not the music that is the potential problem, it is the use of SMB v1 to access that file. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Upload your files to iBroadcast.com which works with Sonos.