Need to find a compatible NAS with Sonos

• 9 March 2024
  • 5 replies

After having my WD My Cloud Home no longer work with Sonos, I need to add a new NAS to my setup, specifically for Sonos.  Is there a list of compatible NAS options out there? Or is there something I should be looking for?  I don’t have a lot of music, and could get by with 2TB to have plenty of room to spare, I just don’t know where to begin this search.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I looked at a lot of NAS devices and passed on the lot of them for my Sonos use. I have used either the SMB server or SMB gateway to provide local music files to my Sonos. The big advantage for me is that I have full control of the operation and updates, things that kept breaking on my WD setup.

My solutions plus one suggested to me by another Sonos user:

Live Journal: Stan  https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/

The Gateway option is really slick as it uses your existing NAS and any protocol you prefer to fetch your music files, then a properly configured for Sonos requirements SMB server to pass them on. A Raspberry Pi Zero is perfect for that task.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have the same issue.  But with a Synology NAS, which after the recent update can no longer connect to Sonos S1.  While I can still use a streaming service, I have a lot on the NAS that isn’t available online.  While I am reasonably tech competent with Windows PCs (can build/update my own) I know nothing at all about Raspberry Pi construction or programming in Linux. I would need a full set of Instructions assuming no initial knowledge.  Does that exist anywhere? All advice gratefully accepted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Did you look at the OpenMediaVault suggestion at the link I posted above?

Doesn’t get much simpler than that and both the Pi and the Vault folks have active user support communities.

I have the same issue.  But with a Synology NAS, which after the recent update can no longer connect to Sonos S1.  

Have you specifically enabled SMB v1?

After having my WD My Cloud Home no longer work with Sonos

Why is this so?