Question

New Sonos app update sucks! How can I down grade again

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I just upgraded to the new version of the app.

I understand that it usually takes some time to get used to it. But my major way of listening to music is my local library. Not only can I not fast forward to where I need to go → used to be type a letter and you are there

Nor can I not search the library anymore.

Until you have this changed back or fixed please tell me how to downgrade the software

I’m a sonos user for more than a decade and I have thousands of dollars invested. Please let me use my music system again!!!!

Sonos does not need to look like Spotify!

81 replies

Userlevel 3

I just did exactly that And down graded. I use the dual mono on many of my rooms as they are ceiling speakers spaced too far apart for stereo. 

I followed this 

https://www.androidpolice.com/roll-back-android-app-older-version/#:~:text=You%20must%20uninstall%20an%20app,updates%20to%20the%20original%20app.

Userlevel 4

They removed the alarm functionality. One of the main reasons for me purchasing. 

Racking my brain thinking of a worse app upgrade for any company and I can't think of one. You'd have to pull my finger nails off for me to recommend Sonos to anyone anymore 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

They removed the alarm functionality. One of the main reasons for me purchasing. 

Racking my brain thinking of a worse app upgrade for any company and I can't think of one. You'd have to pull my finger nails off for me to recommend Sonos to anyone anymore 

Finger nails?  Do not tempt fate💅😜

Userlevel 3

This castellated seems to be a troll!! They need to stop the sarcasm on here, we have thousands invest and Sonos screwed us all!!

Userlevel 3

New app is terrible. How do I rollback on IOS?

Userlevel 2

Where’d the ‘play next’ button go ?!?! Not impressed!

Userlevel 2

We are also confronted today with the Android upgrade. What a mess! Does Sonos listen and care about its users at all?? I have the following super annoying issues:

1. They removed the old Tunein plugin. I have a lot of favorite streaming stations which are not on Tunein. In the old plugin I could manually add them. Now all these stations are gone over night! The new Tunein plugin does not allow a manual addition of a streaming url. At least I did not find it yet! Anybody a solution to that? Now we depend on Tunein where to listen to?
  2. Playlist. All my playlists are gone! I put a lot of work in this over the years! All the apps on the internet work with playlist, even Spotify!  Why do you remove playlists Sonos?
  3. The 65.000 limit of music files on a storage is still bothering me a lot! The music I like can not always be found on streaming channels, Bandcamp or Spotify. I buy a lot of CD’s from bands who release their stuff in private management and then import them in Sonos.  The work around until now to overcome the song limit was to use playlist but they did remove this as well (point 2).  Do I then need to go back to a CD-player for playing my music??
  4. I can not find the alarm functionality anymore.  Already mentioned above? Really!????
  5. Previously they already removed the possibility to play music from your phone’s local storage. Super annoying! The function is still available on S1 though.  I sometimes get samples or music (I am  a DJ) sent by email or chatapps and could aways play them to the nearest Sonos. Now I need a cable to the Sonos(via line-in) to play them ??  Are we back on cables in 2024?

Userlevel 3

This is not a question of getting “used” to a new app.  This so called upgrade actually lost functionality.  No ability (from what I’ve seen) to manage alarms on the android mobile app.  You can manage alarms on the desktop it seems.  

There is no volume percentage displayed, only a slider.  This can be probematic in a business setting.  I would love for people to post detailed instructions for how to go back to the previous version.  This is very disappointing.  SONOS MAKE THIS RIGHT!  

Userlevel 3

This is not a question of getting “used” to a new app.  This so called upgrade actually lost functionality.  No ability (from what I’ve seen) to manage alarms on the android mobile app.  You can manage alarms on the desktop it seems.  

There is no volume percentage displayed, only a slider.  This can be probematic in a business setting.  I would love for people to post detailed instructions for how to go back to the previous version.  This is very disappointing.  SONOS MAKE THIS RIGHT!  

See my reply I reverted back following Android police instructions. 

Userlevel 3

Have to agree that the new Sonos app sacrificed functionality for user look and feel.  Its colorful and the screen can be customized but so much key functionality does not work well or work at all!

First off, it is much slower to load a selection and start playing music. At times I select a favorite and it takes a long time to load.  Once loaded I need a second press to play the selection.  So the app added a second and unnecessary click.  Not a good design!

The “Recently played” section does not work at all!  Every time I select it I get a message saying “Sonething went wrong. Try again later”.  After 3 days of “later” it has never worked for me.

I could go on but the message back to Sonos is please test your software before releasing it.  When the most basic of functions no longer work it looks as if you never tested even the most basic functions.  Or worse yet, you decided to release it thinking colors and sexy icons are more important than preserving functions.

I am a long time Sonos user (11 yrs) and find that the entire product line has gotten less and less reliable and stable each year.  It used to be so much better.

Userlevel 1

The app update is sheer garbage. I can't stream music or radio stations without having to log out and in again. Also, I can no longer set a timer to turn Sonos off anymore. Both the alarm and timer are no longer available. 

Userlevel 3

I thought the last upgrade was bad. This is 10x worse. Losing ability to control different room volume is horrible, music keeps cutting off, access to library, etc. Heck just everything stinks. Can someone please explain how to downgrade on Android. After decades of having many (expensive) Sonos speakers, we are thinking of having to find an alternative. *smh*

Userlevel 2

Agreed, this app is absolute garbage. I lost sleep timer, none of the recently used shortcuts work and error out, and I have to toggle my wifi for it to see my system when I first launch it each day.

Userlevel 3

I am able to control volume room by room however it is flaky and reliable - sometimes works and other times does not.  Sometimes a room completely drops from a defined group and I have to keep re-adding it back.

All in all, the functionality is very inconsistent and unreliable.  Sonos - take it from a software professional - no update is better than one that makes all the functions unreliable.  I hope you are ready to provide a bug release immediately or issue a directive for everyone to downgrade back to a less sexy but functional app.

Userlevel 2

I would love a response from their CEO… we are the customers and the customers are NOT happy and yet sonos does ZIP.. bring on a competitor ...

Userlevel 3

I just took an hour getting all this info for others, and after hitting edit, I am told I can’t edit my own response… ugh.. trying again, but much shorter…

This is for Android Phones

1.  Delete Sonos App: go to app info, force stop, clear cache, uninstall. You have to do this before trying to install older version.
  2. Find out your CPU architecture/ABIs (armeabi-v7a or arm64-v8a) with Phone Info or similar app on phone under CPU or related tab in other app 

3. Find old version of Sonos App: Use APKMirror (website through your phone browser, not the APKMirror App - that doesn’t work for this). Search SONOS and find version March 12, 2024 or earlier as you choose, just not anything from May. There are 2 variants, so choose the right one - either armeabi-v7a or, more likely for newer phones, arm64-v8a .
  4. Download and approve install of the variant you downloaded (security will likely require that you choose to allow the install as it is a sideload (not through PlayStore). It’s a risk, but APKMirror has good rep and if you want an older version of SONOS App, unless and until they un-muck this up, it’s a chance I was willing to take. 

You can get more help at Android Police Rollback Android Apps. 

This worked for me without issues. Hope it helps others. 

Userlevel 2

I downgraded and turned off auto update for Sonos app. I couldn't even bear a full day of that terrible software. 

Userlevel 1

Oh how the mighty have fallen!!   Sonos early adopter here back in the days we were all trying to share those music libraries.  They were ahead of their time and made everything so simple, seamless and intuitive.   App included.  I probably recommended Sonos to 50+ ppl.   Then came the S1 vs S2 debacle.   Screw your customers who shelled out big money by forcing them to shell out more big money for a BS discount.  Then the performance and app issues that plagued us all.  Now this crap is the final straw.  This company has lost its way and needs new leadership.   You’ve forgotten its CUSTOMER FIRST Sonos.  Get it together before we all find other solutions….

Userlevel 2

I fully agree - this is the worst update of any product I ever experienced. I have had Sonos since the dedicated hand held controller. I also have Auralic and HEOS products. Sonos has made listening to music unusable. No add to end of queue? Sluggish response when selecting a song? No response to hitting a song or album? Slow search? Sometimes music library shows sometimes not? Did they not test this thing? After all the money I have sunk with these idiots. They should at least let us roll back the app. We have always accepted the limitations of 16/44.1 (way outdated but seriously undetectable), but to make their products even worse? I may dump it all…

Userlevel 1

The old Sonos was never the most intuitive. This new one is terrible. And less intuitive.  Just awful. Please put it out of its misery. If you care about your customers you will acknowledge the horrific mistake and fix it asap. 

I just did exactly that And down graded. I use the dual mono on many of my rooms as they are ceiling speakers spaced too far apart for stereo. 

I followed this 

https://www.androidpolice.com/roll-back-android-app-older-version/#:~:text=You%20must%20uninstall%20an%20app,updates%20to%20the%20original%20app.

I did the same thing. My first time installing an app that's not from the app store on my phone. Got my alarm back! I can't believe the new app is so brutal

How about room EQ settings? I like to turn up/down bass on some tracks and it used to be one click away. Now it’s 3 or 4 and maybe more depending on where you left the home screen so it requires my full attention to find it.Same goes for volume in different listening areas. This “upgrade” really wasn’t user driven.

Userlevel 1

If they do not allow users to downgrade back to the S2 version, their business is gone. With this debacle, there's absolutely no reason to have a Sonos system.

I was planning on buying more Sonos products this year. Not now. 

I'm better off buying other (better) amps and speakers and running it manually. If I ever want to stream radio or other audio, I can do that directly without Sonos. 

I can see a legal class action here for customer who have relied on Sonos' misleading assurances. This upgrade is reckless and lacks due care. 

Roll S2 back NOW Sonos or face the consequences. 

I just upgraded to the new version of the app.

I understand that it usually takes some time to get used to it. But my major way of listening to music is my local library. Not only can I not fast forward to where I need to go → used to be type a letter and you are there

Nor can I not search the library anymore.

Until you have this changed back or fixed please tell me how to downgrade the software

I’m a sonos user for more than a decade and I have thousands of dollars invested. Please let me use my music system again!!!!

Sonos does not need to look like Spotify!

Absolutely agree!  Took me years to compile carefully selected playlists and these idiots change something that worked fine.  It never needed to be updated!!!!

Total job justification by “updating” this app!  Go back to the previous version or I will absolutely stop recommending Sonos to friends !

The new app. ruined my evening last night. Never could get it to work. Scrambled all my existing setting. Hopefully, I’ll get it to work today without wasting too much more time.