No Playback of FLAC via Plex

I am constantly unable to play back any FLAC files from my Plex server. However, I am able to play the same files if I go through my Media Library.

However, with the recent beta earlier this year, I was able to have this playback functionality.

The error message that I’m seeing in the error log is:

Thursday, 9 May 2024 - 19:26 Atlantic Time
Unable to play '(Song Name Goes Here)' - the connection to Plex was lost.

This error message repeats for any FLAC track that I try to play.

I am able to play these files perfectly fine via the Plex application itself.

6 replies

Perhaps see this earlier thread…

I saw that, but I’m unable to play any FLAC files, not just 44.1/16 FLAC. (I don’t know if that means my problem is a superset of that user’s problems or vice versa.)

I saw that, but I’m unable to play any FLAC files, not just 44.1/16 FLAC. (I don’t know if that means my problem is a superset of that user’s problems or vice versa.)

Are other file/track formats working for you? It might perhaps be a transcoding issue on the Plex server-side. Maybe check you have the latest Plex server software installed and check the server settings (or speak to Plex Support).

If the issue isn’t resolved, it maybe best to first reproduce the issue, immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Are other file/track formats working for you? It might perhaps be a transcoding issue on the Plex server-side. Maybe check you have the latest Plex server software installed and check the server settings (or speak to Plex Support).

If the issue isn’t resolved, it maybe best to first reproduce the issue, immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support via this LINK to discuss the matter in detail and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Yes. MP3s work. And I don’t think it’s a transcoding issue, because as I stated in my OP… this seemingly was fixed in the beta software earlier this year. Playing the files in Plex and PlexAmp work, so I don’t think it’s a transcoding issue or an issue with Plex itself. That said, PMS is at the latest version.

I’ll submit a diagnostic report, contact support, and report back as you suggest.

That said, I do want to apologize if I sound like I’m being snippy with you. (I promise that I’m not.)

Yes. MP3s work. And I don’t think it’s a transcoding issue, because as I stated in my OP… this seemingly was fixed in the beta software earlier this year. Playing the files in Plex and PlexAmp work, so I don’t think it’s a transcoding issue or an issue with Plex itself. That said, PMS is at the latest version.

I’ll submit a diagnostic report, contact support, and report back as you suggest.

That said, I do want to apologize if I sound like I’m being snippy with you. (I promise that I’m not.)

I didn’t/don’t take your posts in that way honestly - I just really hope you can get the matter resolved. Perhaps be good enough to post back if you do find the answer, as it might assist other Plex/Sonos users who pass by here too. 👍

I didn’t/don’t take your posts in that way honestly - I just really hope you can get the matter resolved. Perhaps be good enough to post back if you do find the answer, as it might assist other Plex/Sonos users who pass by here too. 👍

That’s a relief! And I absolutely will! 👍