does anyone else think sonos connection is so consistently unreliable as to make the product unfit for purpose?

I can't connect and have tried everything. It's because I have a new router from virgin. But my phone effortlessly connects. I have been through the Sonos app process 20 times and it is no surprise that it doesnt connect, because it's always been unreliable. I've gone off music since having Sonos because of the anxiety I have as to whether it will work. It's like an anti Pavlov dog. Is it just me? 

10 replies

After replacing a router reboot everything on the network. 

Thanks buzz.  Not sure what you mean. Everything has been turned off and on again. TV and phones seem to be fine. Just Sonos 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Did you check your new router’s settings to insure they are set to allow sonos to connect?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

Once connected:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/improve-your-sonos-products-wifi-connection

Thank you Stanley. That's getting very technical. I have a hub 4 from virgin. I would assume it is compatible. Hypothetical question: If Sonos isn't compatible with a major UK wi fi provider router  then do I have a claim under the the consumer rights act 2015.? I think it is an implied term that Sonos is and must be compatible with my router. I would hope that some  of the hundreds of pounds I have spent on their sub standard products should have been invested to ensure that this is the case. 

Thanks buzz.  Not sure what you mean. Everything has been turned off and on again. TV and phones seem to be fine. Just Sonos 

Yes, power cycle will force a reboot.

In your desperation, refrain from Factory Reset of any SONOS units without further consult. Factory Reset rarely resolves fundamental issues and wastes a lot of time.

Thank you buzz. But if course I have turned it off and on again. I'm not keen to go factory resetting tho without advice. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I would be very surprised If you would have a claim against Sonos if a problem surfaces when you get a new router after you bought Sonos’ devices. And why talk about a consumer claim if you haven’t even given Sonos a chance to help you? And dismiss the help pages Sonos provides because you seem to think they’re “very technical”. You bought Linux-based multiroom speakers, a bit of tech seems unavoidable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

then do I have a claim under the the consumer rights act 2015.? I think it is an implied term that Sonos is and must be compatible with my router. I would hope that some  of the hundreds of pounds I have spent on their sub standard products should have been invested to ensure that this is the case. 

Why that instead of your router must be compatible with Sonos? Sonos was here long before your router.

Looking past that did you take the time to confirm the router’s settings were set to a mode that Sonos also supports?

Ha. Thank you Stanley. I do think the burden is on Sonos to be compliant with mainstream WiFi products. You have given me a list of technical information that I  concede I do not understand. I hope to speak to Sonos tomorrow when their helpline opens. It doesn't takeaway ten years of shaky unreliable substandard connectivity that I wish I never invested in. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So Sonos needs to recall every product they have made since about 2005 and re-manufacture them to work with your new router?

Good luck.