Question

Questions about necessary ports and proxy awareness

• 6 March 2017
  • 2 replies

Hello Sonos community,
I am doing some initial research to see if a Sonos system would be compatible with our network infrastructure.
We have an internal proxy server here so I want to make sure that the Sonos equipment would be able to pass through it.

The other topic I want to understand is which ports are absolutely necessary for the Sonos to work on our network.
We only plan on using Hotel Radio, Rockbot, Mood Mix, Sound Machine or Tribe of Noise services. We'd like to control all of the Sonos players through the PC or Mac Music control application. We wont be using an android phone or iOS device for this.

Here is a list of ports that Sonos requires but I'm sure we don't need all of them. The ones underlined are IMO essential. Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you!

80 (Internet Radio, updates and registration)
443 (Rhapsody, Napster, and SiriusXM)
445 (CIFS) – successor to SMB
3400 (incoming UPnP events - Sonos Controller App for Mac or PC)
3401 (Sonos Controller App for iOS)
3445 (OS X File Sharing)
3500 (Sonos Controller App for Android)
4070 (Spotify incoming events)
4444 (Sonos update process)

UDP:
136-139 (NetBIOS)
1900 (UPnP events and device detection)
1901 (UPnP responses)

2869, 10243, 10280-10284 (Windows Media Player NSS)
5353 (Spotify Control)
6969 (Initial configuration)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Try https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/multiple-subnets-vlans-and-sonos-workable-clavister-solution-30950
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Is the internal proxy completely transparent (thus, not requiring any configuration on your client computers)? Because Sonos doesn't seem to support manual proxy configuration (it might however support it over DHCP, but it might be a stretch.

In addition, all the ports that are used internally (1400, 3400, 3500, 4444, 6969, filesharing and all the UDP stuff) are irrelevant if your computers and the Sonos system will be on the same network. I assume this will be the case, since you don't mention anything about separating it. Most streaming services manages to function through a firewall as well, as long as they use standardized ports (most would allow streaming over port 443 just to penetrate firewalls).

My biggest concern would be the proxy configuration, if that is actually required on the clients.