buying a used Conect

• 28 February 2017
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist II
  • 23 replies
Hello,

I use 2 play 1 at home et I would like to add a Connect, maybe a used one.
I would like to know if there been different versions of Sonos Connect? If so, how do we recognize them and what are the risks, if any, of acquiring an old model?

thank you in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

No, there's only been one version. In fact, the only piece that Sonos has made that has two versions is the Play:5, which has a Gen 1 and Gen 2, and can't be mixed in a stereo pair.

The only thing that I think I've seen, reading these boards for while, is that occasionally (and I mean rarely, I think I can remember 4 posts total) that the power supply goes bad, and needs to be replaced. But considering how many thousands/millions that have been sold, that seems to be a very remote issue.
I agree; just make sure you buy a piece that is in working condition.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I don't think these answers are entirely accurate... but I think the likelihood of you running into an old Connect is very very low as to make it potentially irrelevant....

If my understanding is correct. The Connect used to be called the ZP 90 and is identical to the current branded name 'connect' ... but prior to that there was a ZP 80 that was the previous edition of the connect, but it had a different wifi setup (referred to as SonosNet1.0 as opposed to the current 2.0). I highly doubt that you will run across ZP80.... but just I case you should know there *is* an old version floating out there.

There is also the ZP100 as a precursor to the 120, now branded the Connect:AMP... again old (like 8/9 years ago these models were retired)

Hope this helps.
but just I case you should know there *is* an old version floating out there.

Is there an easy way to identify this if the original box/literature it came in/with is missing? The lower spec for the WiFi could be an important difference in use.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Is there an easy way to identify this if the original box/literature it came in/with is missing? The lower spec for the WiFi could be an important difference in use.

I do suspect the different Wifi spec is an important difference (although I suspect ratty can tell us exactly the specific details if needed 🙂 ) my limited understanding is that 1.0 entails poorer error correction and speeds... but the details of this are beyond me.

The ZP80 should be immediately noticeable by the label on the bottom of the player that names it as such. A ZP90, or Connect, branding on the product would communicate that a person is purchasing a more 'current' version of the product.
Indeed; I just turned over my 2011 unit and it does have zp90 written below and I guess the later but identical Connect has just that written there,
The WiFi spec difference is definitely a benefit; what I meant was that it may not be necessary in every installation, depending on distances/interference levels involved.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
what I meant was that it may not be necessary in every installation, depending on distances/interference levels involved.

Agreed.
You might like to read the discussion around this post. There have been a few Connect versions. There is also a discussion about the advantages/disadvantages of the different Connect versions here. Read the first 6 or so posts at least. The bottom line is probably to be more concerned to get a SonosNet 2.0 version than anything else. The non-bit-perfect issue is a minor concern at most.

Cheers, Peter.
As I understand it, ZP90 and pre-2011 CONNECT contain the same hardware. From 2011 on the CONNECT had a hardware change, to which Peter Mc refers above.

ZP80 is functionally the same as ZP90, except for SonosNet. SonosNet 1.0 was based on G, 2.0 on N (with MIMO). Hence ZP80 has slightly less range and resilience. (In practice that reduced range may make zero difference so long as there's decent redundancy in the mesh. I have four ZP80s scattered about -- two of which in fact originated from eBay -- and they're perfectly happy.)
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thank you for your help. 😃