Question

Play 5 to TV with RCA to 3.5mm cable

• 23 April 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge
Have read the instructions on how the RCA to 3.5mm cable can be used to connect to TV so went and bought one, but for some reason it is not working. No sound at all coming through. I have a Panasonic 4K tv and 2 Play 5's (2nd gen) set up as stereo pair mounted either side of the tv. Any help appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Have you tried connecting a set of headphones to the 3.5mm cable, to ensure that the TV is actually sending data out properly?

The other thing I'd be looking at, after confirming that the TV is actually sending something out, is the line input levels in the Sonos app, to make sure that it's set properly. And of course, I'd consider checking to be sure that autoplay is turned on for that input.
You know, something just struck me. How sure are you that the input that you've connected to on the back of the TV isn't a coax digital out? If that's the case, you'll need to get a digital to analog decoding device before the analog input on the Play:5 will be able to recognize it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
TV model would help here.
Badge
Model is Panasonic Viera TX 40CX400B ‑ 40" 3D LED. The red and white connections are labelled "audio out" so I assume they are for this purpose. Have no other means of testing the connections or cable for that matter as my headphones have the 2.5mm socket for input. I'm using a 3.5mm cable plugged into the headphone socket on the tv and then into the line in on the LH Play 5 for now but I'm thinking the RCA will be a better solution.
Any help appreciated.
Useful information, thanks.

I'm having trouble finding the manual for this in English online, but the one I'm looking at currently suggests on page 11 that the red and white RCA connections are Audio in, not audio out? What I can't find is a picture of the back of the TV to look at to confirm this, since the area I'm getting this from is just taking about cable connections, and not actually showing the back of the TV. To be honest, I don't think the RCA jacks are worth messing with, since there's already a headphone jack on the TV.

Using the headphone socket on the TV and then taking it to the line in on the Play:5 is the way I'd go. I'd just turn up the volume on the TV at that point, since it controls the output of the headphone jack, and then start looking at the line in information in the Sonos app to be sure it's turned on, and at a correct level.