Placing Playbar in a cabinet

• 11 April 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I have ordered a new tv stand and was wondering if it would be ok to put the playbar in the middle section of this stand.Has anyone else done this and does it effect the sound.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

If you look at the "uncovered" picture of the speakers on a Playbar, you'll see that they point in all sorts of directions. I'd be relatively cautious about recessing the playbar too far. It's not clear from the picture how tall that space is, nor how wide. You'd want the area around all those speakers to be pretty clear. Conversely, you may want to consider a Playbase, which seems to be much more restricted in the directions the speakers face, and might actually fit on the top, underneath your TV.

If you're dead set on it, I'd put the playbar all the way at the very front of the lip of that cabinet. But I'd still be unhappy that there would be something "over" the top of those speakers, potentially changing the way the upward firing speakers sound, much less the "surround" speakers that fire side to side.
To be clear: the tweeters on either end of the PLAYBAR are not "surround" speakers. They're part of the left and right front channels.
Sorry, you're absolutely correct, as usual, ratty. I shouldn't have used the word "surround", which means something completely different in this context. I claim lack of appropriate caffeine. But you still don't want to block them 🙂
http://www.sonos.com/support/productguide/en/playbar/index.html#t=PLAYBAR-selecting-location.htm
Sonos don't recommend installing PLAYBAR inside a cabinet at all. That said, if there's at least the 30cm clearance all round it may work acceptably. Trueplay tuning could help.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Thanks guys i will try it for a few days see how i get on.
Hello all, since you guys have the experience - im building a new entertainment center and want to get the sonos playbar. however the opening underneath the tv was designed for another playbar - its 5" high. will this work if I lay the playbar flat at the lip? will there by a compromise in sound quality? it has 12" space on each side.

please help.
Have you any feedback from your trial in the cabinet as I have a similar cabinet and trying to decide if I should go with a Playbar...

Thanks
I’m kind of surprised to see no feedback from the that post, but let me give you a bit of information so that you can make your own choice. And I would suggest that previous posts from people like ratty are full of useful information.

The Playbar has speakers firing in multiple planes. There is an exploded view somewhere here on the sales section, or if your having trouble finding it, I’m sure it can be googled. But I would think that having the “top” of the PLAYBAR covered in either of its possible orientations would likely have an impact. Not huge, and possibly mitigated by trueplay tuning with an iOS controller, but one none the less. If it were me, I wouldn’t recess it at all, and just hang it flat against the wall.
Thanks, I will do some more research and feedback my findings