Question

App controller keeps losing wifi with sonos even when connected to the internet

• 22 March 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi

I'm looking for some help. Hopefully it will be a quick fix.

I'm having issues with controlling my system through the apps on my devices (iPad, iPhones).

The app on my various devices keeps losing contact with Sonos and states that "you need to be connected to a wireless network to use Sonos" It does this frequently! The wifi on all my devises throughout my house is never less than 2 bars and I get this issue when wifi is connected and strong. The speakers (including the speaker on the 2nd floor) continue to stream the music but I loose control through the apps.

The router is on the ground floor at the front of the house and the bulk of the system (play bar, 2 play 1's and a play 3) is on the ground floor with 1 play 1 on the top floor bedroom. The house is a Victorian Terrence (my neighbours love the deep bass!) so not a massive distance for the wifi.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi there, same problem here - I'm running a year old iPad Pro using 5Ghz wireless and the Sonos connection keeps dropping in the bedroom. I switched to my 2.4Ghz wireless network (through iPad settings / wifi) and the connection problem has gone away. Switching to a 2.4 Ghz wireless network will make your iPad connection run slightly slower if there are lots of other 2.4Ghz wireless networks around you (because of interference etc.) but 2.4 Ghz has a greater range (and a more robust signal) than a 5Ghz signal through walls etc. Hope that helps, D.
The other thing to try is to make sure that your iOS devices have "Wi-Fi Assist" turned off. Go in to iOS settings, Cellular, and scroll all the way to the bottom, and turn it off.
Yup, sounds like a classic "WiFi Assist" problem.