Question

Modernizing a traditional 5.1 setup

• 26 April 2017
  • 1 reply

Curious what you'd do.

Let's say you...
- already have a 60" Samsung KS8000 with a more traditional 5.1 system (4 built in ceiling speakers, 1 center, and 1 sub) powered by an old receiver (2005 JVC RX-D302)
- use all apple stuff already (iphones, apple TV, macbooks)
- usual activities are watching tv... streaming, mirror, airplay music from your devices
- want to keep the existing 5.1 system.. but don't mind trashing the receiver for something better
- want to be able to incrementally add sound to other rooms as needed
- ideally control everything from your phone without needing to interact with anything else (goal is to make it easy for grandparents to control/access)

How would you go about getting started?

I've researched Sonos connect, bridge, other receivers, but am thoroughly lost what my core first step should be.

Thanks guys!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

If I were brutally honest, in that setup, I'd start with a Harmony remote, to make it easier for the Grandparents to use the system.

Then I'd add a Connect to the receiver, so that I could start the Sonos environment, and start putting Play:1s in the extra rooms as needed. And that's it.

Now, if you want to go a little bit crazy, you could potentially ditch the ceiling speakers altogether, and go with a Playbar and rear surrounds. In fact, you could potentially 'save' the rear speakers by involving a Connect:Amp and hard wiring it with ethernet to the Playbar to power the surrounds. Unfortunately, if you're using a Connect:Amp for powering rears, it really does require an ethernet cable either to the Playbar/Playbase or both have to be cabled to the router. This is due to the fact that the Connect:Amp does not have a 5Ghz receiver in it, which is the frequency that the Playbar/Playbase uses to broadcast to surround speakers.

It's a pretty big deal in my mind to ignore those in-ceiling speakers, and may or may not be aesthetically pleasing to you. But if you're mostly using the TV, and not using a Tape Deck, CD player, Phono, etc, then you could conceivably go with my second suggestion.

Hope I haven't muddied the thought process here.