Question

Ethernet connection on Play 5 and house speaker system

• 15 March 2017
  • 3 replies

My house has a speaker system wired into the rooms which was done by the previous owner. I am trying to figure out if I can use the Ethernet connection in the back of the Play5 to those speakers. I have a stereo amplifier that I can connect to which then connects to the speaker. Originally the system was connection to a stereo system which played CD, Radio and I think the TV.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

No, the ethernet connectors on the back of the Play:5 are to go to your router, if you so choose. There's not a line level audio signal there.

If you do decide to power those speakers with an amplifier, you'd need to get a Sonos Connect, which would get the same information that the Play:5 does, and send that to your amp, which would then send the sound to the speakers.
Oh, I only mentioned the amp because you said you already have an amp. You could easily replace the amp with a Connect:Amp and power those extra speakers that way. You could still connect the CD player (if you found it necessary, most don't, once they've ripped everything they own) to the connect amp. The stereo amplifier (with the Connect) becomes useful if you want to connect multiple inputs to your Sonos system.

On the other hand, if you're intending to include the TV, then you should be looking at a Playbar. That connects to the TV with an optical cable, and consequently anything pushed through the TV then enters the Sonos ecosystem.

Not sure I've been helpful, though. Lots of data to assimilate.
Yes it does. I am not tech savvy, but now I get to buy a cool new device. Awesome.