Another dj question unfortunately

• 4 April 2017
  • 6 replies

Firstly before anyone jumps down my throat, we bought Sonos for our kitchen as a kitchen set up not for djing. Im not that bothered if ive got a delay although it would be nice not to.
I've been reading through the forum and it doesnt look like this question has yet been asked that i can see of.
If you can use sonos as a surround sound with a playbar does this negate the 70ms delay.
As a 70ms delay would be as bad for watching tv as it would djing would it not.
Do people find a delay using their sonos surround?
And if not, could this be a way around the dreaded 70ms delay? You can get mixers with an optical out, so the signal is already digital before it hits the system.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The home theater setup is using the optical input on a PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE to get around the standard line-in delay. This audio is sent to the bonded surround speakers over 5GHz, instead of the 2.4GHz, which transmits faster at a shorter range. This allows for those players to play in sync with the PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE too. Grouped players will play a bit off however, because they get their data over 2.4GHz and therefore have the added line-in buffer, and therefore delay.

Short answer, yes, you could use one of the home theater devices for Sonos to get around that delay. As to using it with a DJ setup, I can't speak from experience. For a smaller room, the PLAYBASE might make for a good stand to put your mixing board on and you could set it up with other Sonos players for surround and SUB.
Ryan, thanks for your answer.
I'll explain my system. I have 4 play 1s, one in each corner, and a 3 in the middle with a sub hidden away.
I also have a connect which i havent taken out of the box yet.
Ive been looking at a diagram of the connect and it has a digital out but no digital in, which is unfortunate as this would be a more reasonably priced way around the issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ryan, thanks for your answer.
I'll explain my system. I have 4 play 1s, one in each corner, and a 3 in the middle with a sub hidden away.
I also have a connect which i havent taken out of the box yet.
Ive been looking at a diagram of the connect and it has a digital out but no digital in, which is unfortunate as this would be a more reasonably priced way around the issue.

1) If you can get the output of your DJ thingy into the Playbar via it's optical input then the audio would NOT be delayed. If you had 2 Play units bonded as surrounds then they would also play audio not delayed (but the signal would NOT be Dolby Digital 5.1 so they would barely get used.
2) Any other way of getting audio into Sonos - via line in on Connect, Connect:amp or Play 5 would be subject to an audio delay
3) If you GROUPED other Plays to a Playbar and played your DJing via the Playbar the audio played through the GROUPED speakers would be delayed by 70ms.
Badge
Have a look at this thread I started. Potential solution.

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/djing-with-sonos-a-potential-hack-aka-solution-6819385
Have a look at this thread I started. Potential solution.

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/djing-with-sonos-a-potential-hack-aka-solution-6819385

You are resurrecting years old threads and posting the same message repeatedly. This is considered Spam and is against the TOS of this site. Post it once and anyone who is looking for a solution will find it.
Badge
Sorry- I was not aware, my bad for not paying attention to rules. I thought I would try to help those who had a similar issue as I came across their posts in search of a solution for the same/similar issues they had. Sorry, was just trying to help.