Pairing a Speaker Selector to a Sonos AMP

• 5 April 2017
  • 3 replies

I wanted to ask how many 8 OHM speakers I can connect (using a speaker selector to match the impedance) without overloading the amplifier (assuming I occasionally would play them all together) or degrading the sound. I understand sonos recommends a maximum of 4 per amp, but wondering what's the max I can get away with without degrading the sound too much. Ideally I'd like to connect 8 in-wall speakers to a single Sonos AMP. I'm not an audiophile nor do I listen to my music super loud (rarely, if ever happens) but don't want it to sound like a tin can either. Also, assuming I use the speaker selector to impedance match, do I run the risk of damaging the AMP if I connected 4 pairs of speakers to it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
If you are connecting 4 speakers to the CONNECT:AMP the impedance must be equal to 8 ohms. Anything outside of that might damage the unit itself and the speakers. You can find more info on wiring speakers to the CONNECT:AMP here.
Ryan's link tells you how to connect 4 speakers. If you want to connect 4 PAIRS of speakers you should check with Sonos tech support to verify what impedance matching speaker selectors will work with the Connect:Amp. I think you have to use a selector with isolated right and left negative. Many switch boxes use a common negative for the right and left channel and I don't think this is compatible with the Connect Amp.
Can anyone recommend a speaker select that works with sonos connect amp? The two sets of outdoor speakers that I am connecting to the Sonos Connect app I would like to play at different volumes even if they're playing the same song.