Sound stops all of sudden when starting a new video

• 9 April 2017
  • 6 replies

Hi,
I have been facing the following problem since many months now and none of the solutions seems to work.
My set up is Playbar connected to LG smart TV via Optical cable, 2 Play 1s and a Sub. Tv is connected via Wifi, Sonos Playbar is hard wired to the router.
The problem of sound not coming at all happens a lot of times but following are some of the instances I have noticed it over and over again.
When starting a video on youtube app on tv,
Also again when a new video starts
Also while switching apps on tv like to Netflix I loose the sound.

To get back the sound I go to Sonos app and select a song (while the video on tv is still playing with no sound) and the sound comes back.
Please help to resolve this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi,
I have been facing the following problem since many months now and none of the solutions seems to work.
My set up is Playbar connected to LG smart TV via Optical cable, 2 Play 1s and a Sub. Tv is connected via Wifi, Sonos Playbar is hard wired to the router.
The problem of sound not coming at all happens a lot of times but following are some of the instances I have noticed it over and over again.
When starting a video on youtube app on tv,
Also again when a new video starts
Also while switching apps on tv like to Netflix I loose the sound.

To get back the sound I go to Sonos app and select a song (while the video on tv is still playing with no sound) and the sound comes back.
Please help to resolve this?

Hey ameetchhatwal, I'll be happy to help.

In order to provide a little more assistance, can you also let us know the model of your LG TV? The next time this problem occurs it would also be great if you could submit a diagnostic and then post it here for our review.

To clary, when starting playback from the TV being in an off state, does the PLAYBAR automatically start when the TV is turned on and a program begins? Is there a period of time between switching from one video to another where nothing is playing or does the problem occur when one episode of a show ends and then another episode begins?
Hi Andy,
Thanks for looking into this. The TV is LG 65'' Class 4K Ultra HD Curved OLED 3D - 65EG9600
I will submit a report next time it occurs.
I have not observed this when switching the tv ON from OFF, since we mostly use chromecast and other apps like Youtube and Netflix, and for these apps the user has to browse first unlike traditional tv where the shows is always on. I can try that use case too. But yeah it has occurred that we get no sound while starting the first video too. I have tried chaining the sound channel too but it never helped. Please let me know if you have more questions.
Hi Andy,
The diagnostic confirmation number is 7313116.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi Andy,
The diagnostic confirmation number is 7313116.

Thanks. I can see the PLAYBAR engaging the autoplay feature when a video is started, so there should be sound immediately. Do you possibly have an alternate device you could wire the PLAYBAR to as a test? A cable set-top box or a DVD/Blu-ray player?

Although audio can be heard, can you please check to make sure there are no kinks in the optical cable? When removing the optical cable from the back of the PLAYBAR do you see a consistent red light or does it seem to flicker?
Hi Andy,
There were no kinks in the optical cable and also the cable has a consistent red light when removed.
I dont think connecting to cable box will help solve the problem since we use the apps(youtube/netflix/chromecast ) from the LG tv's OS and not the cable box TV.
The problem still persist and its has become kind of frustrating for us at this point, since the sound would stop all of a sudden while playing videos, and specially when we have friends over its kinda embarrassing since we have boasted being a SONOS owner.
Any other solutions for solving this problem since what ever you have mentioned so far is not working to solve it.

Thanks
Ameet
Ameet,

I usually take the suggestion to connect the optical cable to the cable box as a test to see if the issue is with the TV, as opposed to the signal. While I recognize that you use many of the built in apps on the TV for watching, it still might be instructive to determine where the issue lies, so that Sonos can be more helpful. Do some testing with the cable temporarily connected to that cable box, and once you've finished testing, you can reconnect it to the TV.