Question

Sonos in the Future

Hi!
I have read a lot here in the forum that Sonos does not support DTS or Dolby Atmos
My question to you all.

Do you think Sonos will bend and release a new soundbar that support DTS or better?
Or should I start looking for another solution and just keep de play 5 to use in the kitchen?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Start looking for another solution.
I'm not in the same camp as CarsonPlower. I think that eventually, there will be some motion in that direction, but I recognize that it may not be on the timeframe I would like. So, for me, it matters on how much I have invested in the system already. I've got 7 Play:1s, 2 Play:3s, 2 Playbars, 2 Subs, and a 1st Gen Play:5. That's a lot of investment to replace, just to get something more than Dolby Digital. And frankly, most of what I listen to is Music, which doesn't need that extra stuff to work. Stereo pairs work fine, I don't need Quad, or any other "extra" signal type. But I'm sure that there are those who only have the TV system (Playbar, surrounds and Subs) who want more. Hell, I want more too, but not so much as to spend the thousands of dollars to replace it all, even if there was something out there that does the whole house sound thing as effectively as Sonos does.

So, I'm not going to hold my breath on something. But then again, I won't be surprised if they do bring something out. And I'll hope that it's sooner than later, with full knowledge of the complexity of hardware and software design, much less spinning up a factory line for production. Hope springs eternal 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
The heos avr does all the decoding sonos doesn't. It has wired fronts and sub but wireless surrounds. But still that system is limited to 5.1. Seems like denon is thinking further ahead as an all in one solution for the home.
Right. Do they do multi-room synced audio, as well?
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Yes the heos system by denon is almost a direct rip off of sonos. But they do not offer mesh network but rely on ones home wifi. They support hi res and are bluetooth capable as well, tho not aptx

I have been researching both systems and for my needs the sonos seems to be the one I will go for.
Wonder if the reason for no mesh network is a patent by Sonos? I need to do some investigation. Thanks for the info 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
But there is another thing to consider, as far as I know the support for heos is little to none, No support forum like this one.
They originally attempted the mesh. Sonos sued them. Shortly after, Denon redesigned the Heos line.
I dont think Heos ever had mesh. Or did it?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I'm with Carson. If you have even the slightest interest in using DTS or Atmos I wouldn't waste your money on a Sonos Playbar. There was post here very recently from Sonos stating they are only looking at supporting "streaming video" users with the Playbar (i.e. DD5.1).
Currently, tom12, that's indeed what they're saying. That doesn't mean that they don't have something in the pipeline, but we won't know a thing until the either announce, or ship it. I'll remain hopeful, again, without holding any breath. And I'll continue to evaluate my investment in Sonos as new products are announced and gain marketshare. For now, however, I'm pretty pleased with what Sonos does. And I do recognize that their main focus is music (streaming in particular), not home theater. They have one product in the home theater arena, as opposed to a wide amount of products for general use in the home.