Answered

Surround Speakers keep cutting out

Userlevel 1
Badge
Recently I've been experiencing a problem whereby my 2 Play3 speakers, which are connected as Surround speakers to my Playbar, regularly cut-out and fall silent for about 20 seconds, before coming back on again. How can I fix this issue?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 March 2017, 21:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

daniel010,

There are a couple of guesses that I have, but to be honest, they'd just be random guesses. Your best bet would be to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of this issue occurring, so that a Sonos rep can look at what's going on in your system and give you a concrete answer.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks, will do
Happy to be of (potential) help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If you post the diagnostic number here I'll take a look for you.

Just some thoughts, it's likely this is an issue with some 5GHz interference on the PLAYBAR, so if anything is sitting nearby that's wireless too, you may need to get some distance there.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Good luck. Ive had this issue since I set up my surrounds. They would work fine for a short while then start dropping over and over again. I went months back and forth with Sonos engineers on phone and through email with no resolution. Eventually my ticket was closed when I had a personal emergency and didn't reply to one of their emails fast enough.

A system update a year or so ago seemed to resolve most of the issues - now they'll run fine for weeks (even a couple months at one point!) before randomly dropping again constantly for a few days. Then back working again for a few weeks. Then start randomky dropping again for a few days....

Hopefully your case resokves better than mine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If it starts doing it again wayoung, feel free to reply back to that email ticket and it'll get reopened. We'd be happy to work with you some more.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It just happend again, so I submitted a Diagnostic Report: 7172112
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It just happend again, so I submitted a Diagnostic Report: 7172112

Hi daniel010,

Your BOOST is having a very hard time communicating wirelessly, there's a lot of interference showing up. Is your BOOST close to any third party wireless devices or other electronics such as your router or a cordless phone base? If so, try moving it away and see if things improve.

It may also help to change the wireless channel your Sonos system is operating on.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thank you Jeff. I haver moved the Boost as far away from the Router as it's cable length will allow and have changed the Sonos NetChannel to 11. I have submitted a new Diagnostics Report ( 7176150 ) Can you check if there is still interference?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thank you Jeff. I haver moved the Boost as far away from the Router as it's cable length will allow and have changed the Sonos NetChannel to 11. I have submitted a new Diagnostics Report ( 7176150 ) Can you check if there is still interference?

Things are looking better as of a few minutes before this report was submitted. How is the system performing?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks! It did cutout once more so I decided to move the Router from it's position in the corner of the room to center of the room behind the sofa. All seems to be working well now, no cutouts and the Sonos App opens much quicker; it used to take a few seconds before it found and connected to my system. I'll submit another Diagnostic to verify all is working well: 7177321
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks! It did cutout once more so I decided to move the Router from it's position in the corner of the room to center of the room behind the sofa. All seems to be working well now, no cutouts and the Sonos App opens much quicker; it used to take a few seconds before it found and connected to my system. I'll submit another Diagnostic to verify all is working well: 7177321

Things are looking better. Please let me know if you have any further troubles.
Badge +1
Hi Ryan S,

could you please have a look at 8166916, because I experience the same issue now for a couple of months, and it's getting annoying.

I can already say; I have a 5ghz modem sitting not far from my playbar and sonos bridge. But I can't move either of them...
Just guessing here, but can you change the channel that the modem is on?
Badge
I'm experiencing the same problem. I set up a surround system, consisting of a Playbar, a Sub and two Play:1. But the Play:1 speakers become silent again and again. Could you please look at diagnostics report 8389694?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Ryan S,

could you please have a look at 8166916, because I experience the same issue now for a couple of months, and it's getting annoying.

I can already say; I have a 5ghz modem sitting not far from my playbar and sonos bridge. But I can't move either of them...

Hey there. I would follow Bruce's advice above, it seems your devices are encountering some level of interference which is the likely cause.

I'm experiencing the same problem. I set up a surround system, consisting of a Playbar, a Sub and two Play:1. But the Play:1 speakers become silent again and again. Could you please look at diagnostics report 8389694?

Hi, elkay7. Welcome to the community and thanks for reporting this issue. Can you try logging into your router and changing the wireless channel for us? Do you use any wireless extenders that broadcast a 5GHz frequency? Thanks for the additional information provided.
Badge
Hi Edward, changing the wireless channel didn't help. I did install a wireless extender recently but the problem already occured before. I positioned the Play:1 speaker a little bit further away from my router and it seems to work better now. I'll keep an eye on it.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm having the same issue. Sounds like the steps are the following?

1) submit diagnostics

2) check channel for wireless router? Change it

3) maybe move the router ( I think I only have one port for it in the house )
Badge +1

1) submit diagnostics

I was placed with this problem on an off for a while. Although the router proximity could cause the problem, I found out that it was actually my MacBook when on the 5g wfii which was causing the issue. Moved it onto 2.4ghz and not had the problem since.
Userlevel 1
Badge

1) submit diagnostics

I was placed with this problem on an off for a while. Although the router proximity could cause the problem, I found out that it was actually my MacBook when on the 5g wfii which was causing the issue. Moved it onto 2.4ghz and not had the problem since.

My understanding is that a macbook can connect to both 5ghz and 2.5ghz wifi networks, but that you can't configure this from your macbook. Does that mean you configured your router not to use 5ghz anymore?

Thanks!
Badge +1

1) submit diagnostics

My understanding is that a macbook can connect to both 5ghz and 2.5ghz wifi networks, but that you can't configure this from your macbook. Does that mean you configured your router not to use 5ghz anymore?

Thanks!

I just split the two bandwidths up on my router so I can easily flick between them both. Macbook on 2.4 and everything else on 5g seems to have cured the problem for me.