Answered

Use a playbar as a stand-alone speaker

• 11 April 2017
  • 3 replies

Hello

I have just bought a Playstand which is very good but I now have a redundant Playbar. Can I use the Playbar like a Play1 or Play3 and set it up as a speaker in my study?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 11 April 2017, 22:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Sure. The Playbar does not need to be connected to a TV to work as a Sonos speaker.
How do you use the Playbar as a standalone speaker? I was just told that it HAS to be connected to a TV.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
How do you use the Playbar as a standalone speaker? I was just told that it HAS to be connected to a TV.

The setup process does ask for a tv to be connected, but it can be skipped (or time out), so you should be able to set it up without the tv. After which it is just like any other sonos device in terms of interaction.

Personally I’m not that impressed with it for music though. I’d rather a pair of play 1s. I find the playbar thin and raspy for music. But it is great for tv and movies. As a reuse I suppose it would be a fine speaker and cetainly not ‘bad’, but it is far from the best sonos offering is musoc is the focus.