Question

Connect outside?

• 23 April 2017
  • 5 replies

I am trying to decide if it is appropriate to house a Sonos connect outside and if so if there is a weatherproof case available.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hello, 1st time in this blog, I think I messed up the "ask a question" part. Anyway, I have a number of Sonos products and am looking to expand outside. My AV guys are suggesting I buy a Connect AMP and two wired outdoor speakers to provide sound to my new deck. It is a covered deck and the roof is waterproof. The idea is to install the connect under the covered roof (I have electrical outlets in the ceiling of the covered deck to plug into) and then connect the speakers. My questions are 1) will a Sonos Connect AMP do ok outside? 2) I intend to buy a weathproof/waterproof case of the Sonos connect. Does Sonos sell something like this? Does anyone have a suggestion on a case of this nature?

Thanks,
RPJ
There's no such case, at least officially. You'd need to respect the operating temperature limits for the device anyhow.

You'd be better off using external speakers, wired to a CONNECT:AMP situated back in the house.
Thanks! I live it Texas, so it gets hot here! I was worried about the temp
Bear in mind that the Connect Amp can get hot in operation and the only way it can throw off heat is by radiating it away, which means enough air above and around it to allow it do so. Running longer speaker cables of adequate thickness back to a inside the home location is a better approach, given the above.
I agree with ratty, I would install the connect amp indoors. Installers are very good about running wires, even from inside to outside where you might not think it is possible. Keep the amp indoors where it belongs and connect to the outdoor speakers. I have done the same thing in my home. The amp is installed in the back room cabinet near the back deck, wiring through walls/attic to the outdoor covered area where the speakers are installed.