Question

Existing speakers or new Play 1/3 with Playbar + Sub

• 23 April 2017
  • 7 replies

Hi All,

I am a new Sonos owner very happy with my Playbar + Sub combination in room that is 20 feet x 15 feet. I would like to add more speakers to output music that is already being played on the Sonos from my phone. If they can also work as surrounds then that is good too :)

I've narrowed my choices to three -
(1) Connect my existing Focal Little Bird (two speakers + integrated amp/subwoofer) to the Playbar + Sub combo using a Connect
(2) Connect my old Bose Acoustimass cube speakers (I have 5 can connect up to 4 I think) to the Playbar + Sub using a connect: Amp
(3) buy a pair of Play 1 / 3 to connect with the Playbar + Sub

I would like to evaluate these choices in terms of the below:

(a) are combinations (1) and (2) possible i.e. will a connect work with the Focal (as it already an amp) and a connect:amp with the Bose cube speakers?
(b) can the Bose cube speakers work properly in combination (2)? I believe they cannot handle low frequencies so the Sub has to filter such frequencies out - this I believe is already being done by the Sonos Sub so maybe not an issue?
(c) will the audio quality be good in set up (2) e.g. I believe the Bose cubes do not output low frequencies so will the Sonos Sub be able to handle the bass enough
(d) will the audio quality be good in set up (1) as there will be 2 Sub (Focal and Sonos) running together
(e) will there be any lag in audio in either set ups (1) and (2) esp. given (1) has an existing amp and a Sub also
(e) in set up (3) will the Play 3s make a huge difference compared to the Play 1s

Thanks a lot to all in advance!

Best

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hi.
(1) Is not possible
(2) Is possible, but to use a C:A plus speakers as surrounds you have to have a wired route from the Playbar to the C:A, and operate your system in "Boost" mode (either wire both Sonos devices to your router, or wire them to each other and wire another device to the router).
(3) Would be my choice and I would use Play:1s. In fact, I do. Very happy with the results.
Thanks for the reply John. Couple of questions:

1) Why would set up 1 not be possible? Could the connect for the Focal not be grouped with the Playbar and Sub?
2) Are 2 Play 1s a better choice than 1 Play 5 (considering I already have the Playbar and Sub)? In the future, I will probably buy another Play 5 as well.
Grouping and bonding are different things. Yes you could group the Connect and Playbar but it wouldn't give you multichannel sound or sync correctly. Just two imperfectly synced stereo streams. A Connect cannot be bonded to the Playbar.

You cannot bond a single speaker as a surround. General consensus around here is that P:5s are OTT for surrounds, although there are bound to be those who think otherwise.
Hey John,

Thanks a lot. Looks like a new sonos is the way to go :)

I agree P5 might be OTT for surrounds but would it be better for music at a party than 2 P1s. Esp. given that I have a Playbar and Sub already? I don't think I need more stereo separation etc. and the P5 will just add to the music. Parties can get really noisy and having the ability to go to higher volumes with more thump is probably good. However, I am concerned that this will just add too much bass to the whole setup (Sub is already quite powerful) so 2 P1s that focus more on the mid and highs will be more appropriate.

Your thoughts on music rather than surrounds?

Best Regards
OK - but it's obviously just my subjective opinion. Some options are:

1. P:1s as surrounds. Personally I like one stereo source so am not keen on this for music (although one can turn surrounds off). But many people like the "surround" effect for music. For parties you could leave configuration as it is or "remove" the P:1s from the Playbar and place them in other rooms, say. A Playbar, Sub and two P:1s can make a pretty good noise.

2. As 1, but also buy a Connect to use with existing amp and speakers. Sync should be fine for music (audio processing in amp could throw this out but mostly that affects AV receivers). Gives you a second "room" in your Sonos setup.

3. P:5s as surrounds. Same as 1 really, except might be OTT for TV/films, but more oomph for music, as you suggested..

To reiterate, if you want surrounds you need two Play speakers of the same type. You cannot have just one surround speaker (it's as much of a contradiction in terms as it sounds)..

I hope that's of some help.
John thats amazing. Thanks for your opinion. Just a clarification on your point 2 - are you saying that a connect with my existing focal (amp with subwoofer + 2 speakers) should (i know you cant be sure but it is likely) work fine for music? No sync issues in the same room even with 2 sub? If so thats what i would like to go with.
I can't promise, but it should be OK. But you have a no-risk option. Buy a Connect direct from Sonos with its no-quibble returns policy (or from another retailer with same policy) and try it. If it doesn't work, return the Connect and think again.

Just to be clear, there are two possible ways in which sync issues can arise:

1. When a Playbar is grouped with other Sonos speakers and is playing TV sound (it's fine for music).
2. When a Connect (+amp + speakers) is grouped with Sonos speakers, and audio processing in the amp delays the audio a little- i.e. the Connect itself is in perfect sync, but what you hear isn't! This tends to be more of a issue with AV receivers, and even then it may be possible to turn off the audio processing. With a hifi amp there is a good chance there won't be a problem - mine is fine.

I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.