Sonos Connect-can you wake/power on your receiver with the Sonos app?

Userlevel 1
Badge
I was considering getting a Sonos connect to connect to my AV receiver. The one thing I'd like to be able to do is if I wanted to listen to Sonos through that stereo do I have to power on the equipment selected the input and then I'll have access to playing Sonos through it?

I was kind of hoping the Sonos connect could wake up or power on the AV receiver.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Badge +1
Hi Todd,

The Sonos CONNECT doesn’t have that functionality but there are third party devices that can sense the output of the CONNECT and then send a signal to the amplifier to wake it. While we don’t make third party recommendations, there may be somebody in the community that has a similar setup. We’re also happy to pass this along as a feature request on your behalf.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a mix of CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP units (and some speakers as well). I would love a simple 12V trigger output on the CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP devices to turn on my subwoofer amp. Right now I have my subwoofer amps set up to turn on when they sense audio on their input, but when listing at low levels, the subwoofer amp doesn't turn on. Another option that I have read about is that it is possible to query the Sonos players (like the CONNECT) over the network and they will tell you when they are playing audio. In that case, you can have your embedded controller use a GPIO to turn on the subwoofer amp. The latter is fun and all, and it's the kind of thing I do for work and hobby, but gosh Sonos it sure would be nice to keep things simple and have a 12V trigger output. It's almost worth it to me to take apart my CONNECT players and poke around inside to find someplace that becomes active when they are playing audio and buffer that to a 12V trigger output.
there are third party devices that can sense the output of the CONNECT and then send a signal to the amplifier to wake it.
No luck finding these?
Userlevel 2
Badge
there are third party devices that can sense the output of the CONNECT and then send a signal to the amplifier to wake it

Are these analog devices that sense audio coming out of the subwoofer output or devices that talk to the CONNECT and CONECT:AMP via the network?
Kate suggested this for Connect; that does not have a Sub output. These must be simple triggers. I haven't used them or have need for them, I use Sonos Sub.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Kate suggested this for Connect; that does not have a Sub output. These must be simple triggers. I haven't used them or have need for them, I use Sonos Sub.

You can use a sub with CONNECT, just use the existing audio output and set your sub low pass filter appropriately. My application is that I have a number of rooms with in-celing speaker and in-wall subwoofers; they are a very clean ascetic and approved by the wife; I can't stuck a Sonos sub in a corner, no mater how beautiful I think it is 😉 so I use CONNECT:AMP's and an external subwoofer amplifier to drive the in-wall subwoofer (a Dayton Audio SA230 with is a workhorse amp that has plenty of power to drive my really inefficient in-wall subs). It has both 12V triggering and audio level detection triggering (I use the latter) but have the issue that low audio levels don't trigger it.
The only way I have found a way to do this is with the Sony ES Receivers. I have the STR-ZA1100ES which has the feature called "Music Connect". This doesn't describe what it does very well but this is the feature that links to your sonos connect that is in the same home network. Once you put in the MAC address (not IP address) into the receiver it will then listen for the sonos to be played then turn on and switch to the correct input. I would say it works 80% of the time. If the receiver is in standby it works but sometimes it won't turn the receiver on where i have to go and manually turn it on. Also if you are watching TV through the TV input and then I play the sonos it will switch the input on the receiver to my sonos and start playing music.
Been tearing my hair over this one... I have a RaspberryPi running for other purposes and I started experimenting with it. I now have a javascript set up for triggering my amp via GPIO whenever it detects anything playing in that specific zone. It's pretty rough around the edges, and it requires your amp to trigger at around 3V, but it works quite well.
I believe the newer Onkyo / Pioneer range, with the “Works with Sonos” badge, will do this.
Been tearing my hair over this one... I have a RaspberryPi running for other purposes and I started experimenting with it. I now have a javascript set up for triggering my amp via GPIO whenever it detects anything playing in that specific zone. It's pretty rough around the edges, and it requires your amp to trigger at around 3V, but it works quite well.

Magnus, Any chance you'd share that script? What receiver? That might be the way to go with my Yamaha since it can be conntrolled via http and possibly even telnet/serial.