Sound Base vs Sound Bar

I would like to know the advantages of Sound Bar vs. Sound Base. To me they seem similar and would like to know the differences.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

following
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
As an owner of the Playbar, I suggest you avoid both if you ever plan to expand it to a 5.1 system. The lack of an HDMI port is a huge deal breaker as it limits you to the audio format of Dolby Digital 5.1 - which is in becoming obsolete.
However, if you're only interested in 2 channel (PCM) then I can testify that the Playbar sound fantastic for both movies & music.
DD 5.1 is the de facto standard required by HDTV and the future 4K TV. I doubt it is going anywhere anytime soon. There is enough valid criticism for the lack of DTS, you don't need to be posting nonsense like DD 5.1 is obsolete.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The PLAYBASE and PLAYBAR are the center of Sonos home theater. The PLAYBASE isn't designed as a replacement for the PLAYBAR, just an option so you can pick the size that'll fit your setup best. The main difference is in the dimensions. PLAYBASE is designed for use with TVs that aren’t wall mounted. In addition to size differences, PLAYBASE has an additional custom-designed 5.25” woofer which will deliver more low-end sound.

They both have the same feature set and have all the great sound, services, and functionality that you know to expect from Sonos.

Also, I'll just echo jgatie's point about Dolby Digital 5.1 being the standard for surround sound. We're seeing more and more video streamed these days and that's usually in Dolby.
I understand that the Playbase will be able to work with Alexa later this year. Same for Playbar?
The Playbar doesn't have a built in microphone. So, yes, the system will be integrated like all of the Sonos speakers will, but don't expect that if you own only a Playbar, and not a device that has a microphone in it, that it will work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Airgetlam is correct. We're working on some great integration with Alexa enabled devices which will work to control all of our Sonos players.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Also, I'll just echo jgatie's point about Dolby Digital 5.1 being the standard for surround sound. We're seeing more and more video streamed these days and that's usually in Dolby.

Streaming video - yes Dolby Digital 5.1 is available.
4K Blu-Ray discs - not so much. I can only tell you from my personal experience. Most of the time a new 4K disc will be in the newer audio formats (DTS, Dolby TrueHD, Atmos. With these discs all I get is PCM audio (sometimes no audio at all). With the Sonos system you need a Blu-Ray player that can transcode these current standards into the older DD5.1 Currently these is only one - the Samsung K8500, and it's a mediocre player at best.
In addition I know of no TV that can transmit the newer audio streams over it's optical output. Sonos needs to get it's collective head out of the sand and put a HDMI input on these devices so these newer formats can be used. Every other soundbar on the market has an HDMI input. They're there for a reason.
Have to agree not adding a HDMI seems a bit of an oversight especially on such a new product.
One other question I have; will the audio drop out issues that seem to exist on the play bar, especially with Sky HD/Sky Q still be an issue on the new sound base?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
One other question I have; will the audio drop out issues that seem to exist on the play bar, especially with Sky HD/Sky Q still be an issue on the new sound base?

That's a tough one to answer, because odds are the audio cutouts are being caused by something else along the chain. Very rarely have I seen a PLAYBAR setup where the audio cutouts are coming from something other than an issue with the feed itself. There are times when processing issues happen, and we've but a number of things in place to help with that. The PLAYBASE and PLAYBAR shouldn't cut out at all when playing Dolby content, so if you're seeing that on either one, it'd be great for you to give us a call on our support line and work with a technician.
We're working on some great integration with Alexa enabled devices which will work to control all of our Sonos players.
I know you won't tell but I must ask anyway - do you plan to roll out Homekit support?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We're working on some great integration with Alexa enabled devices which will work to control all of our Sonos players.
I know you won't tell but I must ask anyway - do you plan to roll out Homekit support?

We don't have any official plans that we've announced around Homekit support, but we'd love to see any and all home automation or smart home devices get support for Sonos. The answer to your question would be, we'd love to see it happen in lieu of an available official announcement.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5

We don't have any official plans that we've announced around Homekit support, but we'd love to see any and all home automation or smart home devices get support for Sonos. The answer to your question would be, we'd love to see it happen in lieu of an available official announcement.

Ryan, my understanding is that HomeKit support is both hardware and software based, meaning, it can't be added to products retroactively unless they meet certain hardware specifications.

If I buy a Playbar next month, is there any assurance that it will be HomeKit ready whenever Sonos decide to roll it out?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan, my understanding is that HomeKit support is both hardware and software based, meaning, it can't be added to products retroactively unless they meet certain hardware specifications.

If I buy a Playbar next month, is there any assurance that it will be HomeKit ready whenever Sonos decide to roll it out?

Without any announced partnerships with HomeKit, so there aren't really any assurances we can offer. If we were to start working with HomeKit one day, we would do everything possible to bring that integration to all Sonos players. If there were a hardware requirement for this, it's possible some players might get it when others don't, but we'd do our best to make sure that isn't the case.