Best Setup for Turntable

• 28 February 2017
  • 6 replies

Hi - I currently have a 5.1 setup in my living room with (1) Playbar, (1) Sub, and (2) Play 1's.

I also have a Play 1 in my dining room that I use when combining everything and playing music throughout the house.

I collect vinyl records and need to know what the best setup is for my system.

1) Can someone link me to a few turntables that work easily with the Sonos?

2) Would it be better to get a Play 5 and connect that directly to my turntable? If I do, can I play music thru that Play 5 only or can I play music throughout the entire house?

3) I don't have an Amp, so I assume I'd need the ConnectAmp if I don't go the route of the Play 5? Or could I use the Connect. That way I can just send the music to all my current speakers.

Ideally, I'd like to play music throughout the entire house from my turntable but I realize it may be easier to get the Play5 and just play it in my office area.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

1) Any turntable with a pre-amp, either built-in, or purchased separately.

2) Any line-in source can be played on any and all Sonos speakers. You can even play it on other speakers while the unit with the line-in plays something else.

3) Connect:Amp will allow you to play to a pair of passive speakers and an optional powered sub. Connect will allow you to play to an existing amplifier/receiver/powered speakers. Both allow you to play on your existing Sonos speakers.
1) Any turntable with a pre-amp, either built-in, or purchased separately.

2) Any line-in source can be played on any and all Sonos speakers. You can even play it on other speakers while the unit with the line-in plays something else.

3) Connect:Amp will allow you to play to a pair of passive speakers and an optional powered sub. Connect will allow you to play to an existing amplifier/receiver/powered speakers. Both allow you to play on your existing Sonos speakers.

Thanks. With that said it seems like my best option is a buying a turntable with a built-in pre-amp...and a Play 5 in the same room to connect it to.

That way I can play my music through the Play 5 (by itself) or through the Play 5 (paired with my Playbar, Sub, (3) Play 1's). Does that sound about right?
Yes, that is correct. You can even play it through the Playbar setup alone and play another source through the Play:5.
Yes, that is correct. You can even play it through the Playbar setup alone and play another source through the Play:5.

Last set of questions...

1)If I get the Connect + (2) Play 1's (to create Stereo sound) can I play my record through that setup (by itself) and/or extend it over to play my records throughout my house on all my Sonos speakers?

2) Can I just get the Connect (not ConnectAmp) if the Turntable has a pre-amp? In only using the Sonos equipment.

3) Will it also play through the Sub in my 5.1 setup if I choose "All" speakers with a Connect?

PS - I do not have a receiver. Thanks!
1) Yes.

2) The Connect:Amp is not needed. It does not have a preamp, it is named that because it has an amplifier to power passive speakers.

3) Yes, it will play through the Sub in the room that has the Sub.
Duplicate post. Everything you need to know is in jgatie's information.