Question

Network traffic flow and source?

• 1 April 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I'll shortly be having two separate WAN uplinks at my house - one 4G with an associated cost per GB, and the other, uncapped ADSL.

I'm load balancing with a Draytek 2925 and routing policies to decide on which uplink to use based on the source and destination IPs.

My question with regards to Sonos, what is the source IP?

My setup is...
1x Boost
3x Wired Connects
7x Wireless speakers (SonosNet, no Wifi), one of which is a stereo pair.

I want to send Spotify streaming up the ADSL uplink, but Tidal up the 4G uplink for the sonos players. I don't want to create a policy based only on the destination, as from my phone I want to sent Tidal over the ADSL uplink (since my phone is syncing, rather than streaming, and I don't care how long it takes)

Which source IPs should I use to assign the rules to assign the rules to? Am I right in thinking if I use an IP range including the boost and the wired players only, that would catch everything?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14
The ips of the players will be distributed by your dhcp, so I suggest you reserve ips within a known range and the use that source range to route the traffic.
Userlevel 1
Badge
At the moment, I have an IP range assigned to my wired players only - and my thinking is that because this is the entry point to the LAN, this would be the source IP for a routing policy, even though a wireless player has an IP (just pulled arbitrarily from the pool).
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
No, that won't work, because the sonos mesh is just a transparent bridge (think of it as a switch). The source IP will always be the player in charge of playback, and that will be the "wireless ip" for a wireless player. The transport medium (wired vs wireless) is irrelevant, they are all equivalent members of your local Lan.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Roger - now you say it, it makes total sense.

My thinking was "SonosNet is a different network", which in terms of the physical layer holds true of course, but in terms of the network layer doesn't. I should have really figured this out on my own as I had issues with general network traffic being sent over SonosNet instead of wired ISLs and it caused me great pain until I configured STP properly (or rather, re-configured STP to how Sonos needs it configured).

Thanks for the clarification.