Question

Installing Playbar upside down

• 12 March 2017
  • 7 replies

I heard that you can install a Playbar ABOVE a TV, but that the Playbar unit should be installed UPSIDE DOWN. That can't be true, right?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

It's not upside down as such. That orientation makes the drive units inside -- what are set at 45 degrees -- point down towards the listener. An accelerometer ensures that the PLAYBAR knows which way is up, and swaps the channels as required.
So I simply install it upside down and the "accelerometer" takes care of the rest? Do you recommend using the SONOS installation bracket?
Userlevel 3
Badge
It is correct. Sonos even has a knowledgebase article for this in their online help. As ratty says, it results in the drivers in the Playbar pointing down towards the listening position at a 45 degree angle.

And, FWIW, this is exactly how I have my Playbar mounted. The Playbar is about a foot from the ceiling with about four inches between the bottom of the Playbar and the top of the TV. That gives it clearance from the TV, which sticks out about an extra inch more from the wall than the Playbar does, so the Playbar isn't being blocked by the top of the TV. Works fine.

(I used Sonos' official mounting bracket for mine. Made hanging it easy. It has way more flexibility for lining up with studs in the wall vs. the mount holes on the Playbar itself.)
Do you recommend using the SONOS installation bracket?
I don't see why not.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Mine is above the TV and I used the Sonos bracket as it just works. Just mount the Playbar with the silver on top.

Works great!
Badge
When my tech guy installed my PLAYBAR he installed it below my tv, with the silver bar at the top, which is upside down perse. My PLAYBAR is about 14’ away from me, and if I’m sitting on couch, it’s just above eye level. Should I flip right side up? Reading through this thread says that the speakers are at a 45° angle, then I’m assuming they’re pointing down at me, no?
tonyt0996,

See attached diagram for correct orientation ... the connector panel should be set so it faces away from the TV