PCM or DD

• 22 April 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi,

I have the Sonos 5.1 system which I have set up with my LG 4k oled and I can choose DD or PCM On the TV setup menu.

My first question is

What is the difference with DD and PCM?
Can they both do output true 5.1?
With PCM will I get a different sound from each speaker if the source I am Using can pass through?
I was watching a film the other night which was in 5.1 and put my tv setup to DD and every 30 mins or so it went silent for a split second then worked again, I think this is more regarding the TV than the Sonos. PCM gives me true 5.1 then I will change.

Any help is much appreciated.

Riddick

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I have a 55" OLED B6. The pcm tv setting will output everything as stereo. Your playbar will process this and send simulated sounds to your sonos 5.1, not true surround sound.
With DD5.1 you will get true surround sound out your sonos kit. I can imagine with live tv you would get sound interruptions as sonos decides what to do when adverts etc are not in DD5.1 appear. My sony home theatre often flashes the display through sound settings as they change about, but it never drops sound at all. But with a film on disc, things should be stable.
So DD5.1 is your best experience setting to try first.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Is it possible for the playbar to manage PCM 5.1? Not Dolby Digital (compressed) but PCM 5.1 uncompressed. LG support tells me that OLED B6V that I have is able to manage PCM even 5.1 trough optical. Thanks