S2 New Release & SEND YOUR NEW SPEAKERS BACK

I have had two Sonos speakers for last several years and they have been really great.  The were SO easy to set up.  My Roam got lost on a recent road trip and just bought a Roam SL replacement.

Wish I had known about all of the problems with the new Sonos S2 App…I would have waited to buy my replacement speaker.  I was running iOS S1 of the Sonos app until I was required to upgrade to S2 to set up new speaker.   

Spent at least half the day today trying to connect my new speaker, read countless articles, did reboots, resets, deleting / reinstalling the app, checked wait time for customer service calls 60 -75 minutes, checked to see if I could get S1 back and finally after reading so many posts of people with new speakers that can not connect and how bad S2 is, I decided to SEND my speaker BACK today, go for the MBG (money back guarantee).  Also decided not to purchase more Sonos products until the software is fixed (was looking at a TV bar and system).  It is so disappointing as I’ve loved my Sonos speakers and App until today!

If everyone who has new speakers that they cannot connect SEND THEM BACK NOW, maybe Sonos will fix the problems with S2.

Thanks for letting me rant… 😬

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Sonos. We’d like to help but I’d ask a favor before making suggestions. As you say you were running everything on S1 but moved to S2 the info requested is most important. BTW you didn’t have to move to S2 but more on that after you provide the information I’m going to request.  Here’s the ask…

Please post a list of all your Sonos speakers and Generation; if appropriate (for example Sonos One vs Sonos One Gen2)

FYI, I’m running 32 Sonos products on the recent S2 refresh with no issues. Full disclosure all my products are S2 compatible.

I have a Sonos One and had a Sonos Roam both several years old… so I am assuming they were Gen 1 speakers.  The Roam SL that I just got dropped off at UPS was brand new / two days old so it’s Gen 2.

As soon as I opened the S1 App to start the Roam SL connection, it took me to the upgrade, I don’t recall if I had a choice… my experience with Sonos up today has been great… so I probably thought that was a good idea to be current.  Later I saw a lot of posts from unhappy S2 folks

Happy for you that you have so many Sonos speakers that work.  They are really great speakers when they do work.

Userlevel 7

Hi

The Roam/SL are only compatible with Sonos S2. The Sonos One (Gen 1 & 2) is compatible with S1 and S2. What should have occurred would have been to upgrade your Sonos One to S2 when you purchased your 1st Roam by following the instructions in the link.  After that you would setup your Roam. 

In the current scenario it may have been that you needed to delete the new Sonos app, update your device and reinstall the Sonos app.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/update-to-the-latest-sonos-app-using-the-s1-controller

AjTrek1 - thanks for the info.  I am not having any problems with the Sonos One after upgrading to S2… it works fine.  All the problems were with the new Roam SL set up… just never happened.  As I mentioned in the original post after upgrading, and unsuccessfully connecting the SL many, many times I was looking for possible solutions which included “deleting / reinstalling the app” [S2].   Also tried to reinstall S1 but NLA. 

I’ll end up buying another Roam, probably the TV bar later this summer after folks stop complaining about S2.  BTW - I felt so much better after shipping the speaker back and my “rant”.

You’re obviously are a big supporter on Sonos and this web site, was wondering what your thoughts are on the wait time for customer service?  Seems to me unreasonable length of time.  Is 60-75 minutes the usual or has it increased since the recent S2 release?

Thanks

Userlevel 7

Hi

Glad you’re feeling better 😂

The wait time for Sonos tech support has always been a bone of contention in the community. There has probably been an uptick since the recent release. I by passed the voice support and went over to Chat for another issue. I started at #26 in the queue 😂. My wait was about 30 minutes however my question was answered. Probably not the answer you hoped for.

Hmm… Whenever I went and checked the Chat, which was 3 or 4 times, I always saw “No representatives are available”.  When I tried chat anyway got a useless bot that after a few q&a said there was a long wait for representatives and to try back later…   🙄   Never saw a queue to join.   

Just another reason not to be happy about customer support.  

As I’ve said multiple times, speakers are great… the rest not so. 

I’m done on this topic.  

Thanks!