Answered

Upward-Firing Drivers Silent

• 21 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7

The last couple of months, the upward-firing drivers on my Arc and Era 300s (as surrounds) randomly become silent and don’t play any height channel audio from a Dolby Atmos source. This happens with all connected devices (Apple TV 4K, Panasonic UB820 Blu-ray player, Roku Ultra) connected to my TV (LG C3 OLED). I have had to unplug the Arc from power about five separate times to get the drivers to work again. I imagine this is happening to more users, but they probably haven’t noticed because it is just the height channel effects missing from the audio. But it is pretty noticeable when playing music in Dolby Atmos as there are pieces of the song completely missing.

If I had to guess, the problem started happening after the 16.0 S2 update. But it could possibly be an LG issue too since I purchased the C3 at the end of January.

I have seen one other user on Reddit report the same problem. If any other users are experiencing this, please report it here.

@Corry P, please look into this issue.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 March 2024, 04:31

View original

3 replies

Have you submitted a diagnostic, and called in about it? That would be much better than asking Corry to look into it. That hard data might suggest it’s something different, or provide hard information that can be passed on to a coder to look at. Anecdotal data tends to be dismissed, in my world. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GuitarSuperstar 

Sorry to hear of your Atmos issues. I’m with Bruce on this one - it’s best to call in. If you were to submit a diagnostic while playing Atmos (don’t post the number - just let me know when it’s done and I’ll find it), I’ll be happy to get someone with a better understanding than I to look at it, but for a proper investigation to be made, there needs to be extant cases or there just won’t be an incentive for it to be investigated by anyone in a position to do anything about it. This does mean that you will likely need to go through some troubleshooting steps you’ve already been through, but it’s the only way to really get the ball rolling with something like this (if I had an Arc and could replicate, it might change things, but I do not).

I recommend mentioning the Reddit post when you call in - we’re not tracking any issues that match your description, so another report of the same issue may help you get past the first layer of tech support more speedily.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

Here are a couple of more users on Reddit who are experiencing the same issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/s/k8faIcsf1P

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/s/0608xdVknT