Question

prob with new app

Userlevel 2

I have been having connection problem with my system so waited for new app. Now when it says I need a software update, I’m asked to log out and owner to login. I press start update and I see a flash of the login page then screen returns to ask for sign in: system owner. How do I break this cycle? Despite deleting app and reloading it continues to loop. If I log in thru  web page I see my devices. Any assistance would be appreciated. 

37 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hi Aidan. Do you have several Sonos devices? This sounds like one of them needs attention and has “left the herd” so to speak . You may well find a call to the excellent technicians is in order via https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/contact as they can look at the diagnostics and tell you how to sort it out.

Userlevel 1

I am having the same problem. I’ve tried offloading the app twice and I’m stuck in the same loop. 

I am having the same problem.

After updating to the new app (currently on 80.00.04), the app wouldn’t show my Sonos Boost anymore, so I disconnected it. I proceeded to factory reset all speakers (One Gen2 + One SL). And to set up my system from scratch. After pairing and connecting one speaker to WiFi, I‘m stuck in the exact same loop OP is describing. Tried this multiple times, resetting speakers again, deleting & reinstalling iOS app. Tried multiple iOS devices. Always stuck at this Update / Sign in as the System Owner loop.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

The new app version does not show the boost for some reason even though it's still there. I left mine alone which I'm glad I did. I have since rolled back my android app and yes, the boost shows up again! 

Userlevel 3

Had the same issue, managed to grab the user icon and sign out, then sign in with a newly created account. I had a split system where 3’s that were in S1 would not register to the build 80 app account.

Had same issue with iphone app and ipad (never ending loop), problem solved when i was installing desktop app for mac..

I’ve having exactly the same problem. After factory resetting my devices to connect to a new wifi network, I was able to connect my devices again using the app. When I was finished that, the “update software” button came up and then I was in the “doom” loop. It said I needed to login to sonos.com (which I did), then said the “owner” must login, but I’m the owner. Round and round, even after turning off all my devices and restarting, along with re-booting my router. I’m stuck, as it appears everyone else here is. :(

Userlevel 1

I waited on the phone for two hours and finally have a tech on the line. It appears that my 1000GB router from Spectrum is the cause of the problems. The only solution is to change out the router because Sonos doesn’t know why the router is incompatible, so they can’t fix it on their end. 

That’s interesting. I have just changed my home wifi system from fibre to 5G. As a result I’m now using a Nokia FastMile 5G Gateway router. It sounds as if I may have the same problem you are describing. Not looking forward to a long wait for support, but I guess there’s no other options if I want to be sure.

Userlevel 1

@McJazz Here is the list of routers by model numbers that have an issue with sonos:

1. SAX1V1S

2. SAX2V1R

3. SAX2V2S

4. Arris RAC2V1A

5. Sagemcom F@st 5260

6. Askey RAC2V1K

Thanks for that. 

Userlevel 1

You’re welcome. Unfortunately, the only solution for me is to ask spectrum to give me a new router.

Same issue here. Need to reset both my Play 1 and Ray after I had to change my WiFi password. I presume there will be an update to the app to fix this.

Userlevel 1

I was told they are working on the problem. 

The problem is that the boost is not compatible

any thoughts anyone when will it be ?

Glad to see I’m not the only one with this issue. Does anyone know if/when this will be fixed? I spent a significant amount of time troubleshooting this and I’m still having the same issue. 

Same ‘doom loop’ issue - I’m teh registered owner of a Beam, but the new App update  won’t let me update it - says the system owner must be logged in. I AM the registered owner.

Reset everything - Router, Beam, and nothing.

FFS - This is ridiculous.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I waited on the phone for two hours and finally have a tech on the line. It appears that my 1000GB router from Spectrum is the cause of the problems. The only solution is to change out the router because Sonos doesn’t know why the router is incompatible, so they can’t fix it on their end. 

It’s not your router or spectrum. It’s sonos’s complete pile of trash beyond dysfunctional highly buggy app. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Do not follow this advice and buy new gear. This answer sounds like text-book support blaming other gear when they do not know the answer. The new app is beyond broken and filled with bugs. To a level that it should never have been released. It would be a shame if you buy a new router due to what highly likely is a bug on Sonos side. 

Same issue for me. Whats the solution?

Just got a Roam today to dip my feet into the ecosystem and see what all the hype was about and man is it disappointing. Same issue here. Hope there’s an update soon or this thing is getting returned. 

Same issue. Moved house and changed wifi and stuck in a loop. Really annoyed at how not user friendly Sonos set ups/ changes are. Feel like I’ve thrown money away.

Hi All,

I got the solution for this. :) Download Sonos app for Windows or Mac and connect your system from there. It will ask you to register your device with the email id again. Do it and update the device. Then open iOS app, it should work. Works for me. Hope it is helpful. :-)

I set up a new Asus XT9 Dual mesh router in my house and was able to add 45 devices successfully. Getting Sonos to work has been a disaster. I had to update the app then update the system and now nothing works in the Sonos app (not the S1). For starters I keep getting an error message to start update and then asks me to sign in as the system owner. Which I am signed in as the system owner. So I select Ok! And then click start update again. Sonos asks me to to sign in and I click continue on the app on my iPhone. The Sonos login screen pops up briefly and then it loops the same message to sign in as the system owner. So I deleted the app about half a dozen times and still no progress. Searched online and tried to use the web app to login from my MacBook Pro and nothing. Downloaded the app on my iPad, same looping issue. My Bose 900 system in my bedroom with 4 components works perfect. But my 6 component Sonos system is absolutely sideways. I’ve power cycled all the units. Factory reset them. Unplugged all of them to get one component to load on the app and nothing. My router app shows they are connect with an IP address. I can ping them. I have even hardwired some of them with Ethernet and all is fine. Except for the Sonos App. Has anyone had any luck getting these to work? Is their tech support actually looking into this disaster. It’s been 24 hours and no solution!