Question

revert to version 16.1

Userlevel 3

Hi everyone

Unfortunately, I updated to the newest Sonos version 80. Eventhougt I read all the bad reviews and therefore disabled auto updates. Stupid I am, I manually then installed the update by accident 🤦🏼‍♂️).

Whatever, is there any way to downgrade to v16.1 again? I don‘t like the appearance at all, everything seems buggy, symfonisk doesn‘t work properly, alarms can‘t be shut off, equalizer is hidden, I don‘t see percentage of volume… just everything is a mess to me.

Is there maybe a ‚testflight‘ version of the old version I could use again? Or any other possibility? I have an old iPhone backup from about a month.. if there is no possibility to revert back I have to swallow the pill, restore the backup even I will lose some data but at least having a proper app again.

I don‘t understand why sonos is releasing such a buggy app :-(

thanks for your help! ❤️

36 replies

The same problem for me. The features is hiden now or doesn't exist anymore.

EQ

Sleep timer

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The system is still 16.1  Nothing has changed on the speakers/devices.  The app is version 80 so reverting should be a case of reinstall of the S2 app, although Apple are fussy about having two apps for the same purpose in the app store.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Sonos could put the s2 app back in the Apple App Store if they wanted to. For now you are stuck unfortunately. 

If you have other devices with the Sonos app on them disable auto updates quickly! And you might get lucky. 

The desktop app has not changed so you could us that until it is killed some time this year. Hopefully the mobile apps are fixed by then. 

Userlevel 3

And how can I download the 16.1 app version?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You can’t on iOS but there are ways on Android. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

And how can I download the 16.1 app version?

You cannot downgrade the iOS app.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

For everyone trying to go back to the previous version. From a fellow forum user, use the steps he describes below. It worked for me and. This is for Android users. First remember to uninstall the existing Sonos app from your phone. 

“Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.”

Userlevel 3

Thats great to hear!

unfortunately, I‘m on iOS :-(

I wrote the support, we‘ll see

Userlevel 4
Badge

I have had several support calls to ask for help downgrading to the 16. version of the app. My assessment based on these calls have been the only answer they have all been authorized to give is: “This is not possible and you will just have to wait till we release 80.## with the features you want back.”  At the moment it appears they will not help all of us who do no not wish to alpha/beta test their new app. Additionally, if you have updated to 80.## and allowed the firmware to be updated on your devices they are claiming this further complicates the issue. So if you have updated to 80.## check your system settings and be sure auto update is off before it pushes an 80.## out to all your hardware as well.

Userlevel 3

Luckily my hardware hasn‘t been updated. So shall I just restore my whole ios to get the old app back?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Luckily my hardware hasn‘t been updated. So shall I just restore my whole ios to get the old app back?

That won’t work. It will install the latest app. 
Also there was no hardware update with thenew app. 

Userlevel 3

Does it? Even when I fully restore it from an backup?

oh well - thats *

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

What garbage this company has shoved down our throats. No effing warning or explanation how to use. I have systems in two different locations. Doesn't recognize the system automatically when I'm on the wifi. Can't figure out how change music from the app. Hate this. Thousands of dollars invested and now this after making my first system of Sonos gives obsolete. I can not state strongly enough, do not buy Sonos

Userlevel 1

Sonos new app is HORRIBLE - Sonos should be ashamed.  If this is the new Sonos, the company may be going downhill

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

If it helps there is a 3rd party app called SonoPhone that is only £1.99. It allowed me to access my local library again (the official app kept crashing).

it doesn’t have the alarm functionality, but if you need it for access to local libraries it is infinitely better than the official app.

Thanks rrnyc. I am back with Sonos 16.1 app and happy that I have been able to get out off the new app.

Software update broke my system.  Can’t even use now. Just bought thousands of $$ in equipment.  At the moment thinking about torching this stuff or maybe just smashing with a sledge.  Dead serious.  Either way, Sonos is dead to me now.  Back to analog where the digital realm can’t ruin my listening enjoyment.  

Please can we have an instant downgrade to the superior 16.1 version on iOS?  This latest update is poor at best, whoever signed this off should have a very stern talking to.  System is unusable with the new app.  I thankfully have an older tablet floating around to use the older app with has all the functionality I need, why is that missing on the new app?

Userlevel 3

I‘m just backung up all my photos and whatsapp to icloud. Luckily the rest is backed up locally on my mac. Try this evening to restore my 1w old backup and hopefully get the old app back. Then I‘ll never update the app again. Downside, I habe to install all app-updates manually in the future. 🙃

Got to using SonoPhone as alternative app.  Though it’s less than perfect, i’m not back to having actual music coming out of my speakers. 

For everyone trying to go back to the previous version. From a fellow forum user, use the steps he describes below. It worked for me and. This is for Android users. First remember to uninstall the existing Sonos app from your phone. 

“Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.”

I dowloaded the last good working Sonos App version S2 16.1 (build 119994202) from apkmirror.com and installed via Astro File Manager on all my mobile phones and Android tablet. Now I can browse my musiclibrary (mp3) again and enjoy this music on both my Sonos installations. The conventional TuneIn was also available again.
It is not professional that Sonos releases a new unfinished version as an update with the explanation that everything has now been improved while unnecessary streaming functionalities have been added and many other basic functions no longer function.

ps : do not forget to disable auto update in Sonos App but also in the Google Play Store.
Of course I turned off the automatic checks for updates on the Sonos App v16.1, but I also had to turn off that 'update' function for all Apps on the Google Play Store to prevent me from installing that bad Sonos App v 80 again.

Userlevel 3

Why would Sonos not just remove the Rediculous embarrassment of an app from the App Store and allow us to “upgrade” back to the old app. I can’t imagine using this new app for more than a couple of days, this is killing me. I have Sonos in virtually every room of the house and we run it all day but the app is beyond a joke, what rubbish

Problems with the new Sonos App ver. 80.xx (new black SONOS icon) ( ver. S2 80.00.04- rel.+20240507.671145b from May 9th 2024)
-music library : artist name / song title are missing / Maps are missing, So you can’t browse any more in you own music library
- the music queue cannot be found and can therefore no longer be edited
-Boost can’t be used any more. Sonos Boost is still recommended for homes with a WiFi network with many participants / users and many Sonos Speakers. With Boost there is no audio dropout and there is a greater WiFi range in your home.
-Equalisation is far tot much hidden in the App
-The 'look & feel' of the Sonos app has completely changed. Why completely throw away something that is so good?
-The original version of TuneIN wasn’t installed any more. I could only install the new version of TuneIN, a comercial version I certainly don't prefer.
-Trueplay (on iOS phone) would also no longer work (could not verify myself)

Sonos App ver. 80.xx →  revert to version 16.1 (arm64 v8a) (build 78151030 from March 12th 2024)  (for Android >= 8.0)

re-install procedure :
-First remove Sonos App v 80.xx
-Download apk file ; link  :  https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/sonos-16-1-2-android-apk-download/
-Make sure you have Astro File manager for Andriod (or download the App from the play Store).
-Close all internet comm. (Wifi & mob.data)
-Open Astro File manager and execute the downloaded .apk file →  Give Astro the nesessary permissions → Sonos v 16.1 App will be installed again (brown/gold SONOS icon) !
-Disable in het settings menu of the Play Store - Network preferences → choose ‘Do NOT update Apps automatic’.
-Open internet comm. (switch Wifi ON)
-Open Sonos App v16.1 → gog te Settings - System - Systemupdates : turn it OFF.

Now you can enjoy the latest and good working Sonos App v16.1 again !!

Userlevel 3

It is very clear, that they will not remove the App version 80.xxx, as this will make them commit to the fact, that they did a massive mistake by releasing it. 
I am just waiting for the analyst getting aware of these trouble and it will have impact on the stock value. 
This is the only consequence pubilc American companies are learning their lessons from. 😩

Reverting back to 16.1 via suggested APK file has worked for me. Thank you so much. What has Sonos done to us? Worst nightmare!