PSA: DO NOT UPDATE TO THE NEW APP YET (list of issues included)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Please if u have some issues u don’t see in my post, add them with bulletins, so there is a comperehensive lists for other users or the SONOS itself.

Device: iPhone 14 Pro Max - iOS 17.4.1

1.) If u’re trying to TruePlay ERA’s 300 in the NEW APP (80.00.04), and microphones are disabled on the ERA’s themselves, then the TruePlay process fails.This is due to disabled microphones. If i tried it in the OLD APP (16.1), there was a step/prompt that warned me exactly about the microphones e.g. that they need to be enabled, so the TruePlay could run successfully. This prompt is missing in the NEW APP (80.00.04). So if u’re having TruePlay issues, try to enable microphones.

2.) If u’re having issues with TruePlay not starting after tapping/hitting “Continue” button in the NEW APP (80.00.04), reboot your phone and it should work.

3.) If u’re experiencing some other issues in the NEW APP (80.00.04), they might be mitigated by going to “Account” / “App Preferences” / “Reset App” which will logout you out of the app and u'll have to sign in again and go through the initial wizard, which's gonna find your existing system.

4.) I also had issues with my existing Apple playlist. After hitting play, songs were skipped one by one and nothing was playing. NEW APP (80.00.04)

5.) The removal of surrounds simply doesn’t work in the NEW APP (80.00.04). Even if i’ve factory reset them, the process failed. When i tried it on the OLD APP (16.1), it worked like magic.

6.) Addition of new speakers (ERA 300 in my case) did not work in NEW APP (80.00.04) either at all, or it crashed during the pairing/registering/wi-fi wizard. I’ve spent approx. hour on Sonos support to achieve nothing.

7.) “System Settings” / “Manage” / “About my system” / “Audio in:” doesn’t display the audio format/kodek in the NEW APP (80.00.04). So for example, if u’re wondering if lossy DD+ ATMOS is playing or the lossless DTHD ATMOS is playing, at the moment u're out of luck. NEW APP (80.00.04)

8.) “System Settings” / “Manage” / “About my system” / “Sonos ID. ”If your ID is not displayed, try the “Reset App” steps and it could help. NEW APP (80.00.04)

9.) “System Settings” / “Your System” / “Room” / “Products” /  “Specific Product” / “Status” / “Network”. The input field is empty and does not display name of the network for existing products. NEW APP (80.00.04)

10.) “System Settings” / “Your System” / “Room” / “Products” /  “Specific Product”. Enable or Disable Wi-Fi does nothing / displays “Something went wrong” error. NEW APP (80.00.04)

76 replies

Userlevel 2

Adding another issue here:

My System disappeared after updating

Really annoying. After the update all my speakers except my beam are gone from the app. The beam is not even producing sound anymore from the TV. Anyone with tips on how to fix?

Userlevel 2

The new app is awful. no point having Amazon music as I can not play it.

Userlevel 2

I keep getting asked to enable Local Network on my iOS app. It's already enabled, and no combination of app reset, phone restart, app reinstall etc. seems to help. Just won't work.

I'm just about to be done with Sonos. Good hardware but horrendously unstable software.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

A quick message for the users who rely on the Sonos alarm on the mobile app - a fix for now...

1. Download the app onto your pc or mac (I am a mac user - never done this - and have always relied on the mobile app).
  2. Connect to your existing system wifi.
  3. In the main window bottom right corner - select the alarm function button
  4. If you cannot see your favourite radio station - I use to wake up to - play it through the main browser window
  5. Go back to the alarm you created and ‘edit’ it
  6. Set the music to - radio - recently listened to, It should be there.

At least I don’t have to wake up to the siren tomorrow - phew!
Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos Boost is not shown in about your system.

I did not try what happens if you factory reset the Boost and try to add it again.

The web app still shows the Boost btw.

Userlevel 2

Can’t play music, nor modify the settings, nor add to queue from my shared folder.
This update is a piece of crap. What kind of company release such garbage ???

Seriously it’s a shame !

Userlevel 1

I can’t change the Wi-Fi settings on a ethernet connected play 1

I can’t complete the Wi-Fi onboarding of a play 1 (stops on the connect to my router step)

When that step does work, it stops on the add the speaker to the room step

If I get past both of those steps above, I see this update message, and when I click it I’m blocked as “not being the owner”.

Userlevel 4

Adding new devices to the same room doesn’t work. If you add to the same room you have to factory reset and choose a different room else it will never register. 

I did a chat with Sonos support and they were trying to get me to click a wrench icon to do some manual add thing - support wasn’t aware there was a new update and everything had changed. I figured out how to add devices on my own after several hours of tinkering with it. 

Disable wifi doesn’t work. It crashes each time. Sometimes it works but then reverts. 

Trueplay tuning doesn't work. Each time it plays a sound to detect Sonos architectural and then thats it. I click tune and it does the same thing over and over. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Sonos Boost is not shown in about your system.

I did not try what happens if you factory reset the Boost and try to add it again.

The web app still shows the Boost btw.

I have the same with my boost but I’m sure it’s still ok as is showing ok on the router with the speakers connected to it as they used to be. I’d leave it alone and assume it’s still ok even though it does not show under your system on the new app. 

Userlevel 4

new devices are being forced on Sonosnet instead of using ethernet. in my about system all the new devices that I added are on sonosnet despite being directly wired. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The new app is awful. no point having Amazon music as I can not play it.

That’s nothing to do with the app, there’s a problem with the Amazon Music » Sonos connection.

https://status.sonos.com/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

11.) If u’re TruePlaying and going through the process, it eventually fails on the very last step, e.g. the “test sounds” stop playing, but the App is stuck and it won’t finish and your only option is to tap “Close” button. Tried 3 times in a row, restarted the app, restarted the phone, nothing helped. NEW APP (80.00.04). Only thing that again helped, was to do TruePlay on the OLD APP (16.1).

Hi, I only use YouTube Music that comes with my YouTube Premium subscription. Recently Google start to phasing out Google Podcasts and integrated it to YouTube Music. Unfortunatly on Sonos app podcasts are not working. I mean they show up in the Library/Podcasts. Everything is there, but when I’m trying to play it, it’s just skip and the app trys to play another podcast on the list (and fails again and trys another one and so on). All the music on YouTube Music plays great, but not podcasts. 

The problem was there in the old app too: 

I hoped it will be fixed in the new one, but it still there but this time there’s no error message, it just skips playing. 

Userlevel 1

I had saved 30  radio stations in MY STATIONS.  All gone.  Has anyone found where these are now, or whether user-selected stations have been deleted by this crap update?   Really bad planning Sonos….

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I'm not going to be surprised if sonos actually does rollback this one.

As the list of issues seems to be growing.

Userlevel 1

I rolled back to version 16.1 on my Android phone by following the tips on this post:   https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/1cnxj1d/how_to_roll_back_from_sonos_80_to_161_android/ 

Userlevel 4

any new device added using this new app is forcing everything onto SonosNet. even when connected via ethernet, with other devices on ethernet and nothing on wifi, it is forcing sonosnet and you can’t disable wifi. 

disable wifi results in the device rebooting a few times and staying on. 

Userlevel 2

Trying to play radio stations in my previous played list and get " something went wrong"

Badge

Please if u have some issues u don’t see in my post, add them with bulletins, so there is a comperehensive lists for other users or the SONOS itself.

1.) If u’re trying to TruePlay ERA’s 300 in the NEW APP (80.00.04), and microphones are disabled on the ERA’s themselves, then the TruePlay process fails.This is due to disabled microphones. If i tried it in the OLD APP (16.1), there was a step/prompt that warned me exactly about the microphones e.g. that they need to be enabled, so the TruePlay could run successfully. This prompt is missing in the NEW APP (80.00.04). So if u’re having TruePlay issues, try to enable microphones.

2.) If u’re having issues with TruePlay not starting after tapping/hitting “Continue” button in the NEW APP (80.00.04), reboot your phone and it should work.

3.) If u’re experiencing some other issues in the NEW APP (80.00.04), they might be mitigated by going to “Account” / “App Preferences” / “Reset App” which will logout you out of the app and u'll have to sign in again and go through the initial wizard, which's gonna find your existing system.

4.) I also had issues with my existing Apple playlist. After hitting play, songs were skipped one by one and nothing was playing. NEW APP (80.00.04)

5.) The removal of surrounds simply doesn’t work in the NEW APP (80.00.04). Even if i’ve factory reset them, the process failed. When i tried it on the OLD APP (16.1), it worked like magic.

6.) Addition of new speakers (ERA 300 in my case) did not work in NEW APP (80.00.04) either at all, or it crashed during the pairing/registering/wi-fi wizard. I’ve spent approx. hour on Sonos support to achieve nothing.

7.) “System Settings” / “Manage” / “About my system” / “Audio in:” doesn’t display the audio format/kodek in the NEW APP (80.00.04). So for example, if u’re wondering if lossy DD+ ATMOS is playing or the lossless DTHD ATMOS is playing, at the moment u're out of luck. NEW APP (80.00.04)

8.) “System Settings” / “Manage” / “About my system” / “Sonos ID. ”If your ID is not displayed, try the “Reset App” steps and it could help. NEW APP (80.00.04)

9.) “System Settings” / “Your System” / “Room” / “Products” /  “Specific Product” / “Status” / “Network”. The input field is empty and does not display name of the network for existing products. NEW APP (80.00.04)

10.) “System Settings” / “Your System” / “Room” / “Products” /  “Specific Product”. Enable or Disable Wi-Fi does nothing / displays “Something went wrong” error. NEW APP (80.00.04)

Adding that I lost certain playlist and I can’t add multiple playlist to the queue. It only plays one at a time. I believe this has got to be the worst update malfunction I have ever experienced.

Userlevel 4

I confirmed the inability to disable wifi is an issue with the new app.

Anytime I tried to do it with the new app, it failed and rebooted my device with wifi on. I found an iPad with the older Sonos app on it and it worked first try. I was able to disable all the wifi on my new devices and SonosNet isn’t being used now. 

Userlevel 1

Yup, the new app sucks ...we need very fast updates to get features back 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Keith N or @Corry P could u guys please take some notes from this Topic and forward it to developers? Because doing BETA testers for you in PROD environment is not really something many of us take as a leisure acitivity, so at least take as much info as u can and push it to Devs. Thanks.

I can’t change the Wi-Fi settings on a ethernet connected play 1

I can’t complete the Wi-Fi onboarding of a play 1 (stops on the connect to my router step)

When that step does work, it stops on the add the speaker to the room step

If I get past both of those steps above, I see this update message, and when I click it I’m blocked as “not being the owner”.

same experience. imagine promoting an app thats a considerable downgrade.  it’s appalling 

List addition:

It looks like you are unable to change Pandora play modes in the new app.

Userlevel 1
Badge

none of my speakers (about 10 of them, various models about 10 years old, all running S2) can be found with this new app. I took the liberty of emailing the CEO about it before my better half did - I’m more diplomatic than she is.