Question

Personal music library features removed in the new May 7 2024 app version

Userlevel 3

The new “improved” app version seemed to wreck all of the features that made a personal music library on Sonos usable. Two major problems:

1. There is no way to search your own personal music library anymore
  2. Browsing your personal music library is extremely painful if you have thousands of albums. We used to be able to zoom in by first letter. Now if you want something beginning with a “T”, you have to scroll through hundreds of screens worth from “A”.

Has anyone found a workaround for these?

I know Sonos has been optimizing for streaming services these days. But completely abandoning support for your own hosted music library was not what I expected.

32 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

yes this is terrible, came here to find if there was a work around

Using iBroadcast cloud service, or a Plex server, or upload/match the library tracks to Apple iCloud. There’s also the option to use Google cloud services … they are all currently available options that may allow the searching of your own tracks via the Sonos App.

Outside the Sonos App there are further options to use a 3rd Party media player App with a built-in search facility, (MediaStreamer is one player I use) to either AirPlay/Bluetooth the audio to Sonos compatible players, or send the audio to them using the DLNA standard.

Hope those few suggestions, assist.👍

Userlevel 2

Plex works. However, it's disgraceful what Sonos are doing. Just chasing the money. When my current Play 3 dies I won't be replacing it with another Sonos product.

Userlevel 1

Agree that this makes local library much less useful.  I’m very disappointed with Sonos.

I came here expecting to see Sonos has an answer. this is very scary. Sonos please tell us this is not your intention! are we watching the beginning of an ens***ification strategy to move us all to stremaing services? Please do not do this to your customers.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 2

As someone who doesn't use streaming services and only plays music I own (I know, such a dinosaur!) I CAN'T BELIEVE that what is essentially a hardware company is so bent on forcing their speaker system customers over to a particular software set in order to listen to music. Not only had the Music Library search function been disappeared already, but now I can't even shuffle all songs in my Music Library from the app! Additionally, you can't remove the streaming services from the app home screen, AND when I placed my Music Library at the top of the screen, it disappears and you have to scroll up to see it! Outrageous "updates" that discourage Sonos owners from listening TO THEIR OWN MUSIC. I am utterly incensed. Is there any hope that Sonos will fix this?

Userlevel 2

The new app is an absolute disaster! I have over 30,000 tracks in my music library and I exclusively only listen to Sonos with my music library. I can’t shuffle the songs in my music library anymore and can barely even find it. It comes and goes. What the hell is going on? 

Userlevel 1

I find the Sonos decision to remove the facility to play personal music library most disappointing. I use my personal library more than any streaming service. When will Sonos reinstate this most retrograde update?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am in the same boat as I listen to my personal music library about 75% of the time. Here are some things I have found out this week troubleshooting the issue:

1. Sonos is saying music library functionality is still coming and is predicted for mid-June.
  2. The desktop app still has essentially the same functionality as before so that is a fall-back if possible for now.
  3. I had to re-share all 7 of my personal music folders yesterday because they all were missing. Resharing them to Sonos and then manually adding them back to the music server page on the desktop app was time consuming but got my access back.
  4. I can’t access my playlists through the “Sonos Favorites” tab but I can get to them going through “Music Library” under sources. I can play them from the phone app but can’t see the or modify the queue.
  5. You can get to the queue through the desktop.
  6. My phone has my three most played playlists on it and I can play via AirPlay that way through most of my speakers as a backup.

Huge PITA but at least workable for me.

Userlevel 1

Well I guess I can take some solace in learning that Sonos are acknowledging the issue. However I’m still in denial that they didn’t anticipate the implications of their decision to update the app removing this most important facility.

Userlevel 2

I said previously that Plex works. It did and quickly didn't. The app stops. Then my other streaming services started hanging majorly. I select a track and it takes 30 seconds to play. I turn the volume up, it takes a minute to acknowledge. Uninstall, reinstall, no change. WiFi checks out fine. Bear in mind the only thing that has changed is the app update, nothing else.

Enough is enough. I just bought an Alexa Echo which has Bluetooth and I turned the Sonos off for the last time today. Maybe I'll get a fiver for it on eBay 🤔

Userlevel 2

BTW, the sound out of the Amazon Echo is on par with my Sonos and they are running a deal at the moment where you can pick it up for £60 instead of £100. Maybe they saw an opportunity and decided to capitalise.

Userlevel 2

I said previously that Plex works. It did and quickly didn't. The app stops. Then my other streaming services started hanging majorly. I select a track and it takes 30 seconds to play. I turn the volume up, it takes a minute to acknowledge. Uninstall, reinstall, no change. WiFi checks out fine. Bear in mind the only thing that has changed is the app update, nothing else.

Enough is enough. I just bought an Alexa Echo which has Bluetooth and I turned the Sonos off for the last time today. Maybe I'll get a fiver for it on eBay 🤔

mine does the same.  i have screaming fast wifi and the response lags so much. its bulls***.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I am likewise extremely pissed at Sonos.  The Android app was a piece of junk before, now it’s totally useless.  I’ve invested in a file server to play my music and now the app doesn’t allow access to any of it. I use my own music library on NAS exclusively.  I have 27k songs (179Gb) in my library.  My system is now essentially dead.  Sure I can access folders on my NAS using my laptop Sonos software but WTF!!!  who wants to carry a laptop around.

Their app developers should be fired.  This is beyond ridiculous.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a 150,000 track personal library. I added a Plex server to get around the limitations of the Sonos Personal Library.  It also took a move to an eero mesh home network to get my Plex working properly, even though I have 1GB Verizon service.

Now, the New App does not work as smoothly. It cuts in and out and has dead spots that did not exist before. My playlists skip Plex tracks saying the Plex server cannot be reached. Oddly, I can play Plex tracks seamlessly and if I make a new playlist it will play the Plex tracks that the carried over playlists cannot find! Frustrating!

Connectivity room to room is far less than it was prior to the New App.

Sonos was supposed to be the wireless audio system for audiophiles and music lovers. 

I’m suspecting that somewhere along the line in their design process, these audience groups were downgraded to “edge case” status, and the core functionality that led many of us to spend THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS on Sonos systems was deprioritized. 

This is a brand experience fuck up. They forgot their core. Sonos is pissing off its core user base. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

During one of my eight or so conversations with different live agents trying to get a refund for all of my speakers Sonos broken with this update one of the agents mentioned the fact that their plan was to direct users away from owned music and towards streaming services. Whether that's because those streaming services are giving Sonos a kickback or not I don't know. But it's definitely part of their plan.

The original play 5 I registered in 2013 still works while all three of the less than year and a half old products I got from Sonos now are 100% useless for me since the only music I play is my own music. Which is exactly what I bought the speakers to play to begin with.

Userlevel 1

I also only use the Sonos hardware almost exclusively to listen to music I own.  I am devastated they have taken that capability away with software changes when I have invested thousands of dollars in their hardware.  I feel cheated.  I hope someone starts a class action lawsuit.  I want my money back.

Userlevel 1

Actually, maybe I got a little angry too quickly.  I was able to get it working. I use iTunes on a windows PC to manage my music library and playlists. Here’s what worked for me…

At first got error messages when trying to re-add my music library folder under “Manage Library Settings”.  It seems that the library path had dissappeared after the update, and it wouldn’t let me re-add it.  I deleted and then re-installed the Windows Sonos app on my PC, but still got the same error when trying to add the music library folder.  

I saw a suggestion on another site that suggested using the IP address instead of the computer’s netbios name (e.g. //192.168.0.72/iTunes instead of //ComputerName/iTunes) and that fixed everything.  The computer should have a static IP address reserved on the router so it doesn’t get reassigned.   I made sure the drive and iTunes folders were set to “shared” in windows, then added it using the IP address instead of computer name, and then it accepted it and successfully rebuilt the music library.  I added the playlists I use to Sonos Favorites, and now I can start them easily from the iOS app just fine.  Also, it now again shows “Music Library” under “Your Sources” on the iOS app and I can individually pick playlists, songs, artists, albums, etc. directly as before the 5/7/24 update.

Badge

Sonus seems to have now completely deleted my music library. When I try to add my Music folder, it just comes up with an error message. Any ideas? I’m on a laptop running windows…

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Sonus seems to have now completely deleted my music library. When I try to add my Music folder, it just comes up with an error message. Any ideas? I’m on a laptop running windows…

They say that they will give this feature back to you sometime in June.

Userlevel 1

I am seriously hoping the removal of the PC audio file/ music library listening option was an oversight. I agree with others on the massive investment that was made so we could listen to our MANY CDs and countless other stored tracks throughout our house. SONOS, I promote you constantly at work and in social settings. This ability to play our music files is critical for my family staying with you. Please write and distribute a patch to fix this ASAP. 

Userlevel 2

AAAAAND now, unveiling Sonos’ new * up of the week - deleting any record of your music library from the Sonos app, and being totally unable to add it back into their software!!

👏👏👏

Now my Sonos system is totally useless to me, apart from listening to audiobooks on Audible. Having spent hundreds of pounds on speakers throughout my house, I have been locked out of playing MY OWN MUSIC.

Someone should sue these w******. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 1

The question of legal action is an interesting one and one possibly worth pursuing. A primary function of SONOS (I.e., the ability to listen to our own music) is now not available despite its existence during promotions and historical periods of selling the product. After approximately 15 years of listening to our own music libraries, the inability to do so marks a noticeable shift in the use of the SONOS product.  As this change negatively impacts the entire customer base, it calls into question the legality of the move. I highly suggest SONOS draft an official response to this page’s concerns, distribute it via email (same email list as the many marketing emails, and outline steps that will be taken in the coming weeks to restore the functionality. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I would guess using the standard cost/benefit analysis concept that the money that Sonos has received from music streaming services paying them do this terrible update will far outweigh any legal expense they might incur by paltry users whining about their lost products. Me being one of those users of course.

In other words company A makes more money Servicing Company B than they would pay in penalties for screwing over a customers 1-100k.