Answered

Sonos New App Response?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Has anyone heard anything at all one way or another from Sonos about the new app: defending it, giving updates on return of missing features to new app, possibility of rolling back to old app, full apology, etc.?  I have not seen or heard anything myself other than their own backslapping on social media sites and on the top of their own website.  I kind of feel like they just don't care about us existing customers and hope that this whole new app total failure "expletive"-storm blows over.  I, for one, feel so let down by their "just don't care” attitude toward their customers that it would be hard for them to recover my loyalty and trust.  Some of the missing features, like playlist and queue management and the playing of my local NAS-stored music, are absolute show stoppers for me and will drive me to quickly find an alternative to Sonos for my hard-earned sound system buying dollars.

icon

Best answer by Cochonou 10 May 2024, 11:11

View original

49 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

From Twitter

”The latest version of the Sonos app is our most ambitious software update yet, and we know there is still more work to be done. To ensure all features meet the standards of our listeners, certain functionalities will not be available at this time. We appreciate your patience as we make future improvements.”

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

What a worthless answer.  Essentially says that “we know that the app is lacking and we might fix somethings at some future point in time.”  Just leaves everyone hanging with a pretty much non-functional app that has actually made the hardware functionality worse.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

If you have an Android phone, you can get the previous version back so long as you turn off auto updates for the Sonos app in the play store. 

Also disable automatic updates in the SONOS App. While operating in this mode, adding products will likely be impossible because this will require an update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Also disable automatic updates in the SONOS App. While operating in this mode, adding products will likely be impossible because this will require an update.

I have done that also 😊

I now have my android phone with the old app and the iPad sadly stuck with the new version! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

…but what about all of us who use the alarm feature and can’t turn it off or amend it!!? How many months will we have to live with a wake up alarm which we may not need! They need to give answers and stop treating us as fools and it would bite nice if journalists including the verge didn’t let them off so lightly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Some are saying alarms will come back in June. But I mean who knows, either way it’s too long.If you have the desktop app can edit alarms  there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Normally, somebody shoots theirself in one foot.  Sonos seem to have taken out both feet and are lying comatose on the ground unable to explain how this all happened 😝

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It took a lot of courage for them to do that though 🤣

Userlevel 3
Badge

This is truly outrageous. I’ve used Sonos for at least ten years — and one of the MAIN reasons I’ve used it is the precise functionalities they just eliminated with no warning, no recourse, and not a word about if or when they’ll put those critical functionalities back. There are a lot of options out there. If this blunder doesn’t get fixed in the next few weeks, I’m out for absolutely certain.

One question. I have the new unusable crap app on my android phone now. I’ve turned off auto update. Now how do I get the real app back? Delete the unusable new one and then redownload the old app that worked? Will that old version be available? Sorry if this a dumb question!

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Truly an awful “update”. Who are the developers listening too? I can’t even randomly play all songs from the Music Library (fortunately it didn’t have any problems accessing my Music Library files from my router). And have no way of creating a playlist. And I can’t Add Songs to the “Queue” - it’s always empty even when selecting a full album to play. Basically all I can do is play one album at a time with no way to Queue up another, and no way to create a Playlist!

THIS IS JUST INSANE AND RIDICULOUS!!! 

I've had SONOS since its inception and it just keeps getting worse and worse! But too invested to change now, unfortunately! GET YOUR ARSE INTO GEAR AND FIX THIS STUPID APP.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Is there any way for iPhone users to find a way to go back to the previous version?  I see solutions for Android.  Thanks.

Currently, there is no way for iOS to go back.

Userlevel 3
Badge

One question. I have the new unusable crap app on my android phone now. I’ve turned off auto update. Now how do I get the real app back? Delete the unusable new one and then redownload the old app that worked? Will that old version be available? Sorry if this a dumb question!

Thanks!

You can go to https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/ and download one of the 16.1 versions which is the old Gold S2 version that works perfectly fine (at least for now).

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Here:

Userlevel 5
Badge

This is SO frustrating.  For speakers that cost as much as these, why would you EVER update an app and take away the features that are used most?  We can’t edit our que by song anymore- just by playlist?  This is so weird.  After reading all of the alarm stuff, I am very happy I didn’t use that feature.  Is there any way to go “back” to the old version? Anyone know?  Mine updated automatically- I have a samsung smart phone!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Normally, somebody shoots theirself in one foot.  Sonos seem to have taken out both feet and are lying comatose on the ground unable to explain how this all happened 😝

💀💀💀

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

"To ensure all features meet the standards of our listeners, certain functionalities will not be available at this time" - what a ridiculous statement! In other words, we would rather leave some things out altogether, than give you things which don't work perfectly.

How about getting it all working well, and THEN doing the upgrade?

But the good news is...if you can put up with the app, there will be loads of Sonos kit going cheap on eBay.

Thought it was just me . Maybe I was not just seeing it in the menu maze . Looks like I have alarms for the foreseeable future .Neighbours are gonna love me when I go on holiday and instead of the radio that awful standard alarm starts ( a bug I have lived with since owning ) . Right I’m out for a Guinness or two .

Not to make light of it, but if Sonos isn’t capable of fixing this omission before you go on vacation, you could just unplug your Sonos devices. 

Userlevel 2

The May 2024 update made Sonos speakers mostly useless. I have had issues in the past 8 months with Sonos not being able to play my playlist using Apple. But now nothing works. Im lucky to get any type of music to play within a reasonable amount of time. The volume is slow to respond, if it even responds.  The comments from the company standing by their decision and defending this release is absurd. Saying it was a brave thing to do. Many companies change their apps but are not released or updated when it is this bad. I am at the point where I no longer want to own Sonos products and would  join in a class action lawsuit. Spending the amount of money we do for useless speakers is ridiculous. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Fix your app!!!!!! This is absolute garbage. It automatically switches to a default room all the time. When you try to change rooms - it goes back to room listed at the top. About every third time opening it defaults to setting up new / existing system. This crappy app is practically unusable when the old one worked just fine. It’s nice to have seven speakers that don’t respond because of your garbage app. FIX IT!!!!! Or refund my money

Userlevel 3
Badge

When I change songs I have to then change rooms again. It always pulls up the room on the top of the list plus 1. So now I has had to turn the volume all the way down on the speaker itself in the room at the top of the list because the app will always open that with loud volume while I’m across the house trying to listen to another room. The app is Garbage!!!’ Let us download the old app until you figure this pos out. These expensive speakers are worthless right now. To say I’m pissed off is putting it lightly. FIX IT OR REFUND MY MONEY!!!  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just curious does anyone at Sonos have any response to these requests? It’s amazing how you guys at one point wanted to “stiff” customers who had purchased old speakers back in the day, to upgrade to new speakers. You charge ALOT of money for these speakers so does anyone have a response???