Question

The new Android app is not ready for prime time!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I downloaded and installed the new Sonos app for Android. It doesn’t work. It takes MINIUTES for it to find my speakers- it wants only to install a new system. No problem with the PC controller that’s been around for awhile. Also, it can’t find my music library.

Please don’t put out new software without testing. You wouldn’t do that for your speakers & other hardware, would you?

8 replies

Could not agree more!! Complete garbage.

Mn

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So it is now 13 May 2024 afternoon. I returned home, and found the new Sonos App performing much better. My Sonos Connect Line In and Music Library are back! I was facing doing a factory reset of my 5 Sonos products, which had been the message displayed before today. I was going to call Sonos despite the expected wait to try and avoid the factory reset. It appears as if they are working on the app and pushing updates out, or perhaps working on issues at Sonos. Whatever the case, I am grateful that things appear to be improving and Sonos is obviously aware of the problems. The Sonos Playlists are accessible as well. I am running S2 and have been for awhile, for those who want to know. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Whatever the case, I am grateful that things appear to be improving and Sonos is obviously aware of the problems. The Sonos Playlists are accessible as well. I am running S2 and have been for awhile, for those who want to know. 

Hey, that is good to hear! Clarifying question for you: you mention that Sonos Playlists are working for you … (a) does that include playlists of Local Library music? and (b) do you see artwork associated with Local Library music? I ask because with the new Android app I saw “grayed out” icons for Local Library music that neither worked or included album art. I reverted to S2 v16.1 to regain functionality.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Each day I see different things. Today under “Elliot’s System”, I see categories Sonos Favorites (includes some Sonos playlists and other streaming channels I listen to), Your Sources (today only has Line In for my Sonos Connect box to my stereo), SXM For You (SXM is my Favorite Source, selected somewhere else), Your Services (includes SXM, Amazon Music, Soma fm, and Sonos Radio for me),and Recently Played (recently played items from My Services I think). I can see all my playlists Sonos Favorites by choosing View All. My music is on my desktop, and after a couple of days the Sonos playlists appeared and work.

When I open the Sonos app it still thinks I have no system yet, then it recognizes my system (2 Sonos 1, 1 Move (original), 1 Roam, 1 Connect).

I saw Music Library with Line In under Your Sources yesterday, but not today. Music Library worked yesterday.

I think either they are changing the system or the app connects in several ways with Sonos and it takes time to establish all these connections. I suppose I should try not turning Sonos off at night- the hardware stays on and connected to the WiFi system. I also see greyed out icons, and some icons of music I’ve never heard of.

I have had very good luck with Alexa- I use Alexa to turn on streaming music and radio. Also have had good luck with the PC Control- still the same software, I can easily access my Music Library and verify that I see all my albums and playlists.

It’s maddening. I hope this helps- I regret that I don’t have any answers for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Here’s an update. After lunch I checked, and now I see Music Library next to Line In , both in Your Sources in turn under Elliot’s System. The Music Library sorts items by Artists, Albums, Composers, Genres, Songs, and Folders, and also has Imported Playlists. User chooses one.

I don’t get it! Why didn’t I see this this morning?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So after giving up waiting for a Chat session, I found: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

and I updated both the Android app and the hardware (from the PC Control app). Things seem to have stabilized a bit. I am viewing the adoption of this new app as a Work Very Much In Progress. Thankfully I haven’t had to reset my Sonos hardware to factory YET. Alexa control seems OK. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Now every time I turn on the Sonos app it takes several minutes to find my system. The system is working fine, the app not.

Badge

Same issue, its an absolute joke. Complete waste of time. I hoped this was going to replace the S2 app as they had realised how bad that was!!

I have the same issues, every time I open the app, it can't find my system and wants me to add a new one. If I cam get it to see my system it struggles to control them and just has the spinning icon.

Got this earlier, if its their most requested product, hopefully it's an app that works!