Question

the new Sonos ios app update is TERRIBLE! DO NOT UPDATE!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Sonos, why would you release an app upgrade with so many problems!? Where are my playlists? They're gone! Where are my alarms?  I can no longer edit or save the queue! Where are my albums? I can't change the home interface! I can delete some of the things you guys added automatically but there's nowhere I can see to add anything. What a mess!

Don't you guys check your work? I've been reading some other letters and there are many more problems.

SONOS PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP

129 replies

Userlevel 3

I just did the upgrade and now the app doesn’t work at all as it’s telling me that it cannot access the network. But in the iOS settings, the network is clearly turned on. This new app upgrade sucks.

When I called for support, they told me it would be 80 minutes until I could talk to someone.

When I called for support, they told me it would be 80 minutes until I could talk to someone.

Sonos get your shit together.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Not that this is gonna’ make you feel any better, but the new app on Android is even worse than the new app on iOS. Sonos Favorites—kinda the first thing you encounter—simply does not work for local library albums (they’re grayed out) on Android, while that does work on iOS.

In any case, I share your pain.

I just did the upgrade and now the app doesn’t work at all as it’s telling me that it cannot access the network. But in the iOS settings, the network is clearly turned on. This new app upgrade sucks.

When I called for support, they told me it would be 80 minutes until I could talk to someone..

Note, the permission to access the LAN and WiFi network are two different things in the iOS settings, so  maybe check both are enabled - and ensure it applies not just the one time only but is set to either ‘always’, or ‘whilst using the App’. Hope that assists.👍

Userlevel 3

No alarms.  No sleep timer.  No local music library access.  No queue management.  I’m sure there’s more missing I haven’t found yet.   It’s downright Microsoftian to release some “new” version of a product with the same name but significantly less functionally.  What the actual f, Sonos?  Poorly done.  
On the positive side, the S2 app’s problems staying connected to all of my speakers seems to be fixed.  On a non-upgraded device several speakers are still showing up as offline.  They’re all showing in the new app and playing music just fine.  Just not the music I was looking for, or in the way I want to play it.  Smh.  Guess I’m going to have to keep some device around that isn’t upgraded until you get feature parity back.  Let’s get cracking, devs.  You’ve got a lot of work to do. 

Userlevel 2

Sonos, why would you release an app upgrade with so many problems!? Where are my playlists? They're gone! Where are my alarms?  I can no longer edit or save the queue! Where are my albums? I can't change the home interface! I can delete some of the things you guys added automatically but there's nowhere I can see to add anything. What a mess!

Don't you guys check your work? I've been reading some other letters and there are many more problems.

This is basically the Windows Vista of Sonos.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

OMG THEY JUST **BROKE** IT!

I am stunned and baffled as to why I was pushed a totally broken program as an "update". If I can't even change what song plays next, this thing is NONFUNCTIONAL.

Userlevel 2

Agree with all of the above, new app been on iPhone for 12 hours and a disaster, can’t locate my system quoting there appears to be a problem, my music library on NAS appeared briefly but nothing on it, now disappeared again. Just an awful release. Thankfully have not installed on iPad and can access everything on old app, how is this even possible Sonos, what testing did you actually do?

Userlevel 3

Agree to all the above. RUBBISH upgrade. CAN’t create a queue or play next -  Just looking at a track in my library plays it instead of existing music. Only queue function is replace queue which means stop playing existing music. DO NOT INSTALL 

Userlevel 2

I agree with all the above comments. My system was fine and then I got the notification to up date and did so. No my system won’t work at all. The App features don’t work at all! I tried to to call support but the wait is over 45 minutes but since I have spent so much on this system and would like it to work, I waited on hold only to be disconnected multiple times. The customer service sucks! I don’t know what to do now. DO NOT UPDATE THE NEW APP VERSION! 

I agree with all the above comments. My system was fine and then I got the notification to up date and did so. No my system won’t work at all. The App features don’t work at all! I tried to to call support but the wait is over 45 minutes but since I have spent so much on this system and would like it to work, I waited on hold only to be disconnected multiple times. The customer service sucks! I don’t know what to do now. DO NOT UPDATE THE NEW APP VERSION! 

Maybe try a network reboot and/or an App reset - it’s all working okay here (apart from the widely mentioned features that are missing that is).

Hope you can sort it. 👍

Userlevel 2

This morning I discovered that the latest update on my Android phone has ruined my SONOS system.  I use SONOS for 2 things -  BBC Radio and HiFi quality music from my music library.  I do not want voice control, nor any streaming service such as Spotify. 

I now cannot see my music library - SONOS, what are you playing at?  Please reissue the old app so we can choose which we want.

Fortunately one of my devices (Amazon tablet) has not updated, but I'll be stuck if it does.

This morning I discovered that the latest update on my Android phone has ruined my SONOS system.  I use SONOS for 2 things -  BBC Radio and HiFi quality music from my music library.  I do not want voice control, nor any streaming service such as Spotify. 

I now cannot see my music library - SONOS, what are you playing at?  Please reissue the old app so we can choose which we want.

Fortunately one of my devices (Amazon tablet) has not updated, but I'll be stuck if it does.

The local library folders are available in the new App, including the Web App? Ensure its setup as an SMBv2 or higher share over the LAN. Screenshot attached showing it’s available to both.

Userlevel 2

@Ken_Griffiths 

Ken , thanks very much for your help.  I should have been clearer - on my Android phone, which updated automatically overnight, the new app is virtually useless.  Fortunately, my Amazon tablet (also Android) has not updated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The local library folders are available in the new App, including the Web App? Ensure its setup as an SMBv2 or higher share over the LAN. Screenshot attached showing it’s available to both.

Are you sure smbv2 is currently required? The Sonos help docs say it is recommended, but not required. But agree with Sonos use v2.

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/use-a-nas-drive-with-sonos

Surprised of this change without a firmware update on the speakers but TIL.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

It does seem to not really be finding my network stuff (grayed out on Android) but I see no point in working to solve that problem when the app DOESN'T EVEN LET ME SELECT/ARRANGE WHAT SONGS PLAY WHEN. That is the PRIMARY function of the app, so if it doesn't do that, it is non-functional broken garbage.  Gonna see if I can roll it back when I have some time later today.

Sigh....At least this destructive "update" only happened on my phone so my desktop PC and laptop can still actually manage what I want to listen to.

I'm honestly baffled as to how conscious human beings could release this, supposedly thinking this was a thing to control what their products do. IT IS NOT. Seriously, WTF??

Are you sure smbv2 is currently required? The Sonos help docs say it is recommended, but not required. But agree with Sonos use v2.

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/use-a-nas-drive-with-sonos

Surprised of this change without a firmware update on the speakers but TIL.

IIRC Support for SMBv1 is available in the S1 App only, because that App development, in real terms, was put on hold at the S1/S2 split. As far as I am aware, S2 then moved forward with SMB v2 (or higher) shares only.

SMBv1 had caused problems along the way for some users after the vulnerabilities were highlighted and ‘http’ sharing was introduced for use by both S1/S2 before, or around, the time of the split. This uses the Sonos Library Service installed with the Desktop controller. I’m guessing that controller may be retired in the coming months as it’s hinted that the new ‘catchall’ Web App will supersede it. 

So it clearly makes very little sense to include the vulnerable SMBv1, or ‘http’ sharing protocols in the new App for a local library - it will (IMHO) only be supporting the SMB v2 (or higher) shares only, particularly in the longer term.

What I am unsure about, at the moment @Bumper, is if ‘http’ library shares setup via the Desktop controller are ‘perhaps’ being supported temporarily. I haven’t had time to test that, but either way, that sharing method will ‘highly likely’ go when the Desktop controller App (Sonos Library Service) bites the dust. 

I’ll just add the above is my own opinion and thoughts about what the plan might be for local libraries, but I do not see any indication that Sonos plan to take local library access away from us. I think that will turn out not to be the case. We shall have to wait and see.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

This app is sooooo bad, half of it doesnt work and thr other half I dont need, my playlists have vanished, i cant clear current playlists. DISASTER 

My very expensive speakers are just useless bricks now.

Had no choice to update as the speakers would not work without an update.

Listen sonos these are my speakers that I paid for, can you stop telling me what I want and need,  Butt out and stop harvesting data from us all, just give us a controller that works and let us enjoy the sound quality that we paid for  stop trying to be Google and control everyone, let the customer decide what they want.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

IIRC Support for SMBv1 is available in the S1 App only, because that App development, in real terms, was put on hold at the S1/S2 split. As far as I am aware, S2 then moved forward with SMB v2 (or higher) shares only.

SMBv1 had caused problems along the way for some users after the vulnerabilities were highlighted and ‘http’ sharing was introduced for use by both S1/S2 before, or around, the time of the split. This uses the Sonos Library Service installed with the Desktop controller. I’m guessing that controller may be retired in the coming months as it’s hinted that the new ‘catchall’ Web App will supersede it. 

So it clearly makes very little sense to include the vulnerable SMBv1, or ‘http’ sharing protocols in the new App for a local library - it will (IMHO) only be supporting the SMB v2 (or higher) shares only, particularly in the longer term.

What I am unsure about, at the moment @Bumper, is if ‘http’ library shares setup via the Desktop controller are ‘perhaps’ being supported temporarily. I haven’t had time to test that, but either way, that sharing method will ‘highly likely’ go when the Desktop controller App (Sonos Library Service) bites the dust. 

I’ll just add the above is my own opinion and thoughts about what the plan might be for local libraries, but I do not see any indication that Sonos plan to take local library access away from us. I think that will turn out not to be the case. We shall have to wait and see.

I don’t think they removed smbv1 from the speakers yet, it was still a part of s2 and there was no firmware update to remove it from the speakers which make the actual connection with your nas. So if you had an smbv1 library set up prior to updating your app it should still work as the share is handled by the speaker right?

The removal of smbv1 is a big problem for some people because there is a Sonos library indexing bug that will crash indexing on smbv2 shares. This doesn’t impact all people, but it is a known bug for a year or two and Sonos hasn’t bothered to fix it. So when smbv1 is gone, some owners won’t be able to index due to the bug.

See this thread

No indexing for some and no search for everyone, doesn’t look like they give a crap about local library users but just my opinion.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

This app is sooooo bad, half of it doesnt work and thr other half I dont need, my playlists have vanished, i cant clear current playlists. DISASTER 

My very expensive speakers are just useless bricks now.

Had no choice to update as the speakers would not work without an update.

Listen sonos these are my speakers that I paid for, can you stop telling me what I want and need,  Butt out and stop harvesting data from us all, just give us a controller that works and let us enjoy the sound quality that we paid for  stop trying to be Google and control everyone, let the customer decide what they want.

I just very happily uninstalled this new version and re-installed the S2 controller version 16.1 by following the steps here

https://www.androidpolice.com/roll-back-android-app-older-version/

That's for Android, not sure how to do it on iOS. Don't forget to turn off auto-updating!

Yay I can run my system from my phone again!

Your speaker updates are a different thing from your updated controller app. You can return to the older version of the controller, and your speakers will still be updated and should work okay (mine are). Good luck!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Absolutely agree - thankfully I tried the new app on my iPhone before upgrading any other device so at least I can still play MY OWN MUSIC. This ‘upgrade’ is almost magnificently awful. I wish to de-upgrade. If Sonos doesn’t fix this mistake it might it might be last straw for me with Sonos. 

E2A: I spoke too soon - upgrading on one device has apparently had a knock on effect across the board. I can no longer access my music via Sonos any device. Much, much sadness.

Userlevel 1

SONOS, this is your own customers. Please listen and reissue the old app. I just bought four speakers for an upcoming party. Luckily the speakers still connect but the song navigation is terrible and it’s impossible now to add songs to a playlist. I had exactly two days to work with the old app - which was wonderful. Now I deal with this confusing and inept program. Unreal. 

This app is awful. I can't connect to half of my speakers. And it seems to have reverted back to my old favourites from 5 years ago. How on earth did that happen!? Sonos equipment is amazing but their apps are simply awful. 

Userlevel 3

The latest IoS Sonos app is pure nightmare and brings users to stop using their beloved app.

How dare you Sonos to send out an App Update that from one moment to the other prevents users from some of their principal use cases.

With the new app I cannot anymore:

• play single songs from my music library and add them to the queue
  • I cannot create any playlists from songs from my music library
  • I cannot find the playlist that I have created in Sonos app and were saved in the app
  • I cannot play all songs contained in one folder of my music library

This app update makes no sense, it killed overnight all the main use cases why I use and like so much the Sonos app. Why did you do this??? Why?

It’s hard to believe it’s not intentional, because someone must have reviewed it before releasing it to the customer base.

I can do nothing more than agree with all the previous posts on this subject. New app is completely unfunctional. !

why on earth issue an update that loses the key features i use, sleep timer and alarm. Off to sell my sonos player and buy a clock radio