Answered

"Your system was not found on this network" after product adoption.

I got a new router, and read online that the easiest way to transfer my existing, working pair of play:1s was to factory reset them and create a new system on the new network. I did this, and the system cannot see the system. Additionally, at the end of adopting each speaker, the following message was displayed:

“Your Play:1 has been added but may not appear in the system tab. If so, unplug the power cord and plug it back in to finish setup from the System tab.”

Accordingly, I did as it suggested, and the system is not found. I’ve repeatedly factory reset and readopted the devices, to no avail: the system is never found. I’m not quite sure what else to try. This had taken hours and I have an unusable pair of speakers.

I’ve read elsewhere that factory resetting devices may not remove them from “my system,” whatever that is. How should I proceed?

icon

Best answer by 0x10211799107 12 May 2024, 02:17

View original

18 replies

Do not enable any player or controller updates. I hope that you have not applied the May 7 update to anything.

What model router? I suggest that you temporarily wire the speakers to router.

Unfortunately as part of the adoption process, the app (iOS) required that I install the newest version from the app store. I typically refrain from updating anything once it’s in a working state as updates can only cause problems.

Router model

I have a unifi edgerouterX, with the wireless AP being a mesh network provided by a pair of plume superpods, running in bridge mode.

I will attempt to adopt via ethernet next and will report back.

Honestly, I’m not sure what else to try. Even with the ethernet attached, it defaults to wifi method. I managed (not sure how) to get an option to adopt via ethernet, which took a long time, and then failed anyhow.

I managed to get it to adopt via wifi again, go the message from the attached image below, and it still doesn’t show in my system page, even after rebooting the device.

Any other ideas? (Other than selling my system to some other sucker, of course)

Adoption mesage

@0x10211799107

Is it possible for you to get access to an Android? The Android controller can be back leveled (if it has been updated), then your system will be stable. I would avoid Factory Reset.

Honestly, I’m not sure what else to try. Even with the ethernet attached, it defaults to wifi method. I managed (not sure how) to get an option to adopt via ethernet, which took a long time, and then failed anyhow.

I managed to get it to adopt via wifi again, go the message from the attached image below, and it still doesn’t show in my system page, even after rebooting the device.

Any other ideas? (Other than selling my system to some other sucker, of course)

The fact that you chose to factory reset your speaker (which I presume is your only device) you also needed to create a new Sonos Household for that speaker too, under your existing Sonos account. It strikes me that you’re trying to use your previous Sonos Household instead of creating a new one, but you ideally need to give a little more detail about the steps you’ve taken so far.

Just to add too, there was really no need to reset the speaker in this instance (you received some bad advice there) - it’s going to be a lot more work to get everything setup again if it IS your only Sonos device. You could have just wired it to the LAN to gain access to it and then simply gone onto remove the old WiFi credentials and add the new router SSID/Password. I can’t see it working, that’s if you are trying to setup the speaker in your old/empty Sonos Household.

Yes, I received bad advice, but that’s water under the bridge.

Let me walk you through what it is that I’m doing, sorry if I was unclear. I have a pair of play:1 speakers that I factory reset via unplugging, then holding the play button down and then replugging them in. The light flashes white and orange for a little while, then flashes green, indicating that it’s been factory reset. I factory reset both speakers.

Then, I used the iOS app (Latest version), which said that no devices have been found, I selected add devices, and then used the normal adoption procedure for both devices. This process has been very buggy, meaning that attempting to adopt each device fails multiple times for unknown reasons, but eventually I’ve been able to get each device adopted. At the end of each successful adoption, I receive the message I posted in my previous post, saying that I may need to reboot the device for it to show up in my system. Reboots do not help the device show up.

you also needed to create a new Sonos Household for that speaker too, under your existing Sonos account.

This sounds like a promising avenue to try. How do I do this? I found a post below that suggests this is possible:

but that option does not appear anywhere in the sonos application.

Would creating a new sonos account and attempting the adoption from it help at all? I’ve looked at my profile on sonos.com and it still has the devices, and the adoption date for each device from when I originally adopted them. I don’t understand how to access or otherwise change my Household.

What other information am I leaving out? Thank you so much for your offer of help

An update: while attempting to add the speaker via the factory reset method, the wifi method failed twice in a row, and then it gave me an option to use the ethernet cable, which appeared to to work: I went through the steps of adding it to my system, I set the speaker as part of my “Office”, and then it said that I needed to update the speaker before I could use it. Then the update failed twice in a row with error -1401, the menu to retry the update disappeared, and my system remains empty.

Would disconnecting my router from the internet temporarily allow me to get around the update?

When you factory reset all your speakers earlier you actually destroyed the Household/System in which they were residing previously. You therefore have to first create a new Sonos Household/System by also resetting the Sonos App in the App Account Settings. The App will auto-close and on re-opening you will need to create a new Sonos system. The App will prompt you to do that and at that point with your speakers factory reset and their status light flashing green, it will create the new system and it should let you add your speakers to it.

You will need to add your Music Services etc. back to the App too as you have unfortunately wiped everything when you factory reset all your products. 

A factory reset is normally a last resort solution - it is mostly a step only ever done when you perhaps plan to sell-on your devices to another user.

Anyhow it’s done now. I hope the above information helps to get your speakers back up and running. If the problems persist, for any reason, you can also temporary cable a speaker to the new router, but see how things go on WiFi to begin with. 

Okay, I attempted to add the speaker again via ethernet, got to the update portion again, the update failed with error code -1014 twice in a row, then the app said it had been added, as in the below photo, and still the app says the system not found on my wifi network.

Is there any way to add the speaker via my laptop or desktop? Perhaps the issue is with the iOS application.

No, sadly, the Desktop controller App does not cater for creating a new system/adding devices to the Household - it needs to be a mobile controller App, either iOS or Android.

Okay, I attempted to add the speaker again via ethernet, got to the update portion again, the update failed with error code -1014 twice in a row, then the app said it had been added, as in the below photo, and still the app says the system not found on my wifi network.

Don’t forget to reset the Sonos App to first create the new Sonos system, aswell as factory resetting your speakers again to then add them to that ‘new’ system - you can’t use your old system as it can no longer be discovered by the App, because you will have destroyed it when you ‘reset’ your speakers first time around.

There is no system in the app, the only option is to “Set up a new system.”

I opened the controller app on my mac, and it said that I needed to do an update before using the system, which suggests to me that there exists some system, which remains inaccessible as it’s gated behind an update. However, trying to update while using the mac controller app also fails, and generates an error code of 1101. I poked around and found the log files generated by the controller app, and it appears there’s a problem with upnp; here are the lines generated when running the controller update:

2024/05/11 23:16:51:412  Wizard(1): Wizard transitioning to State: STATE_ONLINEUPDATE_CHECK_FOR_UPDATES ID: 7 in Wizard: OnlineUpdateWizard

2024/05/11 23:17:51:523  updatemgr(1): CheckForUpdates() failed - upnp ret 800

2024/05/11 23:17:51:524  Wizard(1): Wizard transitioning to State: STATE_ONLINEUPDATE_ERROR ID: 3 in Wizard: OnlineUpdateWizard

2024/05/11 23:18:41:023  Wizard(1): Wizard transitioning to State: STATE_ONLINEUPDATE_ERROR_INFO ID: 4 in Wizard: OnlineUpdateWizard

2024/05/11 23:19:55:502  Wizard(1): Wizard transitioning to previous state: STATE_ONLINEUPDATE_ERROR ID: 3 in Wizard: OnlineUpdateWizard

I think you might be misreading my posts, you need to "reset" the mobile App to create a new Sonos system. You also cannot use the Desktop controller to setup a new system. Like I mentioned earlier, you have created a lot more work for yourself by factory resetting all your speakers.

Once the mobile App is reset via account settings, it will close and on reopening it will prompt you to create a new sonos system to which you can then add any “factory reset’’ speaker (with flashing green status LED).

If you still can’t resolve it, then it may perhaps be easier if you go onto contact Sonos Support and they can maybe walk you through the steps over the phone. Here is their link if you do decide you may want to go down that route….

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

So I can confirm that a speaker does show up in my mac controller software as part of my system (not in the iOS app though)

Still requiring update, mac app is generating a few different errors in the log

2024/05/11 23:44:18:457  SOWebsocket: ping error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (kNWErrorDomainPOSIX error 53 - Software caused connection abort)

2024/05/11 23:44:18:460  websocket error: Error Domain=kNWErrorDomainPOSIX Code=53 "Software caused connection abort" UserInfo={NSDescription=Software caused connection abort}, shouldClose: 1

2024/05/11 23:44:18:460  sc::muselib::LanConnection(1): player RINCON_949F3E86539E01400: error

2024/05/11 23:44:18:461  websocket error: Error Domain=kNWErrorDomainPOSIX Code=54 "Connection reset by peer" UserInfo={NSDescription=Connection reset by peer}, shouldClose: 1

2024/05/11 23:44:21:823  SCEntitlementsManager(1): getEntitlements error: 

2024/05/11 23:45:00:800  Wizard(1): Wizard transitioning to previous state: STATE_ONLINEUPDATE_ERROR ID: 3 in Wizard: OnlineUpdateWizard

2024/05/11 23:45:02:325  Wizard(1): Wizard transitioning to State: STATE_ONLINEUPDATE_CHECK_FOR_UPDATES ID: 7 in Wizard: OnlineUpdateWizard

2024/05/11 23:46:02:446  updatemgr(1): CheckForUpdates() failed - upnp ret 800

2024/05/11 23:46:02:447  Wizard(1): Wizard transitioning to State: STATE_ONLINEUPDATE_ERROR ID: 3 in Wizard: OnlineUpdateWizard

I wonder if I unplug the modem from my router and reboot everything if that would allow me to access to the speaker in the mac controller without forcing an update.

Everyone that’s helped thus far, thank you so much, you gave it your best, but I think FB Marketplace / Craigslist just got another listing. Best of luck everyone!

Once the mobile App is reset via account settings, it will close and on reopening it will prompt you to create a new sonos system to which you can then add any “factory reset’’ speaker (with flashing green status LED).

I’m having a similar problem and tearing my hair out trying to solve it. I’ve literally done everything recommended.  I wanted to attempt the strategy you are suggesting here but I cannot find any mobile app “reset” option within the new iOS version of the Sonos app. 

I’m having a similar problem and tearing my hair out trying to solve it. I’ve literally done everything recommended.  I wanted to attempt the strategy you are suggesting here but I cannot find any mobile app “reset” option within the new iOS version of the Sonos app. 

Goto the user account settings (the user icon next to the cog icon on top right of screen) goto ‘App Preferences’ - the ‘Reset App’ option is in there.

Thanks for that, much appreciated!