Answered

Sonos Message on App

• 28 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

I got a prompt today on my SONOS app saying that an upcoming version of the App would remove support for some kind of local files.  Unfortunately I neglected to save a screenshot.  Does anybody know what this is about?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 April 2024, 00:27

View original

6 replies

I suspect it was talking about 

although there has been no discussion about dropping support for local files, just a restriction on the search function. 

Badge

I suspect it was talking about 

although there has been no discussion about dropping support for local files, just a restriction on the search function. 

Thanks, appreciate the clarification.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I got a prompt today on my SONOS app saying that an upcoming version of the App would remove support for some kind of local files.  Unfortunately I neglected to save a screenshot.  Does anybody know what this is about?

Another poster received a similar message, they don’t mention search, they say music library. This link should go to their comment 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Also see Further sidelining of NAS Music Library in new Sonos App?? | Sonos Community

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I think the comments above referencing 

are probably what you need to look at, rather than the post you’ve marked as the answer.

Sonos devices will no longer be able to access music libraries via the SMB1 protocol or HTTP so if you are using a really old NAS that only offers SMB1 you will lose access to your music. This is not a good thing for those of us with old storage drives as it’s quite unlikely there will be any capabilities on them that will work instead.

For me the solution was to buy a new NAS that has SMB2 support - that would be pretty much any new device on the market (I bought QNAP but people like Synology as well). One handy side-effect is my QNAP NAS also supports Plex and that is a much more flexible way to access my music anyway!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thread specifically on feedback for the new Web App …