Question

Sonos One's Not Registered

I have two new Sonos One’s. I set them up last night using the tan colored app icon on my iPhone. It ran through the update on each of them. Afterwards, they were connected, but a wrench icon was next to them, and it said, “not registered”. Tapped on that and it said I needed to upgrade my app on my iPhone, so I downloaded it from the App Store, it installed, then once in the app, it prompted me for an update again, which I did. I go through the process of letting each speaker play a chime, press the button on the back of the speaker, and it goes through trying to add it. Then the app crashes. I’ve deleted the app numerous times on my iPhone, and it crashes each time I try to register the speaker. I’ve reset both speakers to factory defaults, and rebooted my wireless network. Still doesn’t work. Tried my iPad, upgraded its app, and it actually got me a bit further, then it too crashes when trying to register. Deleting and installing the app again, then trying to go through the registration process, results in the app crashing on the iPad. I have a Sonos Ray that I set up with no issues, in the same room, and the One’s will be surrounds to it. I factory reset one of the One’s, hard wired it via an Ethernet cable to my network, and attempted to go through the setup process. I got further on my iPhone this time, and it actually let me pick the room to add it to, then while adding it to the room, the app crashes. I open the app, and the One says “One is not registered.” I’ve had these One’s new in box for about a year, and never had a place for them. Got the Ray recently, paired it to a sub mini (already existing on the network and moved it to the Ray from another room, with no issues), and decided the One’s would complete the surround experience. However, a simple task of adding them to my account just isn’t working as I’d hoped. I will say, the new app is indeed MUCH faster than the old one, so I am wondering if this is a glitch with the new app. I can hard wire the other One into my network as well, I just need to get a longer Ethernet cable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I own so many Sonos products, it should be illegal...

8 replies

I have the exact same issue.  Have contacted Sonos support ?

I did yesterday, and their last suggestion was to try a different device, like an iPad, which I did. Attempted to contact them again after trying that, and there were 39 people ahead of me, so I ended the chat. They used to have email support, but that doesn’t appear to be an option now, which is frustrating. They haven’t had any chat agents available today. I’ve tried several times. 

I’ll try to get in touch with support and post the outcome here

Judging from what I'm seeing here I'm not alone. Virtually every time there is an update from Sonos my system crashes. Clearly it's not just me. I was recommended to "go Sonos" but to be honest, I wish I hadn't - Sonos are an unmitigated disaster: They don't deserve our custom.

Paul Jarvis - England.

I spent about 45 minutes waiting on chat earlier, that person gather diagnostics, and couldn’t figure out the issue, so he created a case and gave me a phone # to call. I called them, spent an hour and 10 minutes on the phone, and finally I was told “you’ve reached the limit of devices on a Sonos system, which is 32.” Sure would have been helpful to have that information well before purchasing and investing in as many products as I have… Their app isn’t intuitive enough to tell the person that they’ve reached the limit. So, two hours wasted and two Sonos One paperweights that I can’t return. I asked the phone rep if the limit can be increased, and he said no. 

In case anyone from sonos is looking, exact same issue here.

Playbar (had to reset to factory defaults). App crashes after clicking on “Playbar → Not Registered → Fix It → Continue”

Happens both on my iphone and ipad, latest version of sonos app.

Extremely frustrating.

Update after spending 60 minutes on hold for support and a further 30 minutes working with the agent…

I was asked to log out, force close, log back in (to the sonos app) and try again. Several times. Both on my iphone and ipad. Also asked to re-install the app and restart my router. Problem persists, the app continues to crash when I try to “Fix It”.

Got a case number and will just hope they get around to fixing it soon :(

I have factory reset 4 Sonos devices and put them in a closet, since there is a max limit. Sad huh? Probably a grand of equipment that I “have to store” because I want surround sound with my Ray. I have tried endlessly to get them setup as surrounds, doing exactly what you have been doing, and it always ends up with: “adding surrounds, this may take a moment”, which quickly proceeds to, “There was a problem adding your surrounds. Check the network connection and make sure your products are powered on.” Network is good. They both show in my app. But for whatever reason, they won’t add as surrounds. So, something is wrong with their app and this “new and improved” system. Thank you for your update. Looking forward to hearing what their resolution ends up being.