Answered

sonos one sl both stopped playing

• 28 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Sonos one sl speakers no longer play music. They appear in air play menu and can be selected. Apple devices think they are are playing, but no sound comes out. Tapping on the speaker top to change volume moves the volume bar on apple devces, but there is no sound. Actually they play about .5 second burst and then go silent. 

I have a home pod which continues to play but all other rooms are quite. 
 I thought I would reset them, but the Sonos app says I am not on the internet, but obviously I am.

frustrated in St. Louis 

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 1 December 2022, 12:58

View original

5 replies

What happens when you stream music to them using the Sonos controller, rather than AirPlay 2?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Jartheck, welcome to the Sonos Community!

We don’t have a lot of insight to what the issue may be, but to hazard a guess it sounds like there’s a connection issue between the Speakers and Airplay, which could mean a general Wi-Fi connectivity issue. 

If you haven’t already, a reboot of your network and Sonos would be a good idea, as this can help refresh any troubled connections. I would recommend rebooting your Router > Sonos One SLs > Phone, in that order. When rebooting them, please leave them off for a few minutes to fully power down. 

For further testing as @Airgetlam suggested, what happens when you stream from the Sonos App rather than using AirPlay? Do you still get half a second of playtime or does it play without issue? Also, what content are you trying to AirPlay to the Sonos One SLs?

I thought I fixed the issue by rebooting the router and speakers. It worked for less than 24 hours. Now one speaker can not be found on the network and the other has the same problem as before. AirPlay thinks it is sending to the speaker, the volume control on the speaker changes the volume bar in air play ( so they are obviously linked) but no sound comes out. The home pod on the same network works fine, no issues.

I’ll have to check if the Sonia app can find the speakers later, I’ll post what I find.

Try playing something via Spotify without using Airplay. Usually the uPnP interface is pretty reliable and acts similar to a Sonos controller. 

Just had this issue (or similar) w/a Sonos One. The Sonos app indicated that music was playing, but there was no sound. I unplugged the power cord from the bottom of the speaker and plugged it right back in. For whatever reason, that resolved the issue.